Excel/VBA app hangs up temporarily when tabbing past last unlocked cell

Stephen White

Hello -

I have an Excel/VBA app that consistently hangs up for 30-60 seconds when I tab past the last unlocked cell on the sheet.

Here are some of the details:

- the behaviour is consistent; when the sheet is locked there are a few unlocked cells for data entry that I can tab through. when I tab past the last unlocked entry cell, Excel hangs up, most the sheet disappears or greys-out, all that displays are the Active-X controls

- this issue does not happen when the sheet is unlocked, or at least I have not managed to find a way

- the app contains a few ActiveX buttons, scrollbars, and combo-box controls which are critical to the app functions

- most of the app logic, including some calculations and formatting, is in VBA; I have tested the VBA code to see if it is hanging up in a specific module and at this point I don't think that is the issue

- when I am looking at the Windows Task Manager during the application hang, I will see CPU jump to ~30% utilization so it appears Excel is doing something

- also, Windows Task Manager will sometimes show a secondary "Print Driver Host ..." process running under the master Microsoft Excel task even though I am not printing; I have already set "Microsoft print to XPS" as the selected printer

- I have tried saving this as Excel Binary format, that doesn't fix the problem

- I found an article on a Microsoft support forum that applied a fix for "problem - 1619" (or something similar) and that did not make any difference

- this issue is consistent across my three machines, all Win10 x64 / Office 2013 x32, plus three other machines (not mine) that are Win7 or Win10 / Office 2013 x32

I am getting a headache from bouncing my head off my desk and appreciate any help you can provide, will be happy to send the XLSM to anyone that wants to see it.

THANK YOU!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
This sounds tough to diagnose.

Ifit were me, I'd try 2 things.

1. Try it with auto calcs turned off -- is it recalcing for each locked cell?
2. Set a break-point in each of my macros before trying it -- so if it is somehow triggering a macro, it would help me identify it. Also, is it somehow running the macro for each locked cell?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back