Excel VBA Import from Access

AndrewKent

Hi folks,

I am having toruble with the code below. I have written a routine to extract data from Access if that data falls between two weeks. It works fine when I manually put in the two weeks I want (shown in the commented out query) however as soon as I try and link it to a variable it tells me it is having a type mismatch error.

Now, the StartWeek and EndWeek cells are both formatted to number, they contain formulas. The database field for WeekNo is set to Number.

Now the strange thing is if I change the WeekNo field in Access to text. this code does not bring back a type mismatch. Although that does mean I can't do any greater than or equal to queries.

Code:
Sub ActivityReportData()

'   =============================================================================================

'   =============================================================================================

Dim VersionName As String
    Dim LastRow As Integer
    Dim ActiveRow As Integer
    Dim BancTelServer As String
    Dim DBName As String
    Dim DBLocation As String
    Dim FilePath As String
    Dim DBRecordSet As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim DBConnection As ADODB.Connection
    Dim ReferralID As String
    Dim Query As String
    Dim StartWeek As Integer
    Dim EndWeek As Integer

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Set DBConnection = New ADODB.Connection
    VersionName = Worksheets("File Locations").Range("FL_VersionName").Value
    BancTelServer = Worksheets("File Locations").Range("FL_BancTel_Server").Value
    DBName = Worksheets("File Locations").Range("FL_SalesDatabase_File").Value
    DBLocation = Worksheets("File Locations").Range("FL_SalesDatabase_Location").Value
    FilePath = BancTelServer & DBLocation & DBName
    StartWeek = Worksheets("Date Matrix").Range("N19").Value
    EndWeek = Worksheets("Date Matrix").Range("N21").Value

With Worksheets("Activity Report Extract")
        .Select
        .Range("B8:J" & Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Offset(2, 0).Row & "").Delete Shift:=xlUp
        .Range("B7:J7").ClearContents
        .Range("A1").Select
    End With

With DBConnection
        .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
        .Open FilePath
    End With

Query = "SELECT tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_EventType, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_ContractCode, tblData_Codes.Claimed_Referral_ID, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_SellerCode, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_IntroducerName, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_CustomerName, tblDefinition_ProductCode.ProductCode_Type, tblData_ActivityReport.[ActvityReport_FPD Credit] FROM (tblDefinition_ProductCode RIGHT JOIN tblData_ActivityReport ON tblDefinition_ProductCode.ActvityReport_ProductCode = tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_ProductCode) LEFT JOIN tblData_Codes ON tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_ContractCode = tblData_Codes.ActivityReport_ContractCode WHERE (((tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)>='" & StartWeek & "' and (tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)<='" & EndWeek & "'));"
'    Query = "SELECT tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_EventType, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_ContractCode, tblData_Codes.Claimed_Referral_ID, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_SellerCode, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_IntroducerName, tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_CustomerName, tblDefinition_ProductCode.ProductCode_Type, tblData_ActivityReport.[ActvityReport_FPD Credit] FROM (tblDefinition_ProductCode RIGHT JOIN tblData_ActivityReport ON tblDefinition_ProductCode.ActvityReport_ProductCode = tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_ProductCode) LEFT JOIN tblData_Codes ON tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_ContractCode = tblData_Codes.ActivityReport_ContractCode WHERE (((tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)>=1 And (tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)<=26));"
    Set DBRecordSet = New ADODB.Recordset
    DBRecordSet.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    DBRecordSet.Open Source:=Query, ActiveConnection:=DBConnection, CursorType:=adOpenForwardOnly, LockType:=adLockOptimistic, Options:=adCmdText

Worksheets("Activity Report Extract").Range("B7").CopyFromRecordset DBRecordSet

DBRecordSet.Close
    DBConnection.Close
    Set DBRecordSet = Nothing
    Set DBConnection = Nothing

With Worksheets("Activity Report Extract")
        .Select
        .Range("B7:J7").Copy
        .Range("B7:J" & Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row & "").PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats
        .Range("A1").Select
    End With

End Sub

Many thanks,

Andy

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
If your weeks are numbers, you should not put single quotes round them in the where clause. Change this bit:
Code:
tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)>='" & StartWeek & "' and (tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)<='" & EndWeek & "'));"
to this:
Code:
tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)>=" & StartWeek & " and (tblData_ActivityReport.ActvityReport_WeekNo)<=" & EndWeek & "));"

Upvote 0
That's what I need! And you've solved a few other problems I've been having as well. It all makes sense now!

Thanks,

Andy

600 posts woot!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back