Excel VBA: Inserting an IF statement into a cell

EverClear

Hello!

As part of a macro, I have a formula in a cell that calculates the difference between 2 other cells. Now, I am trying to insert an IF statement into another cell that will look at this difference, and if the difference = 0, it will return the words "ON TARGET" in the cell. If the difference is greater than 0 it will return a message that says "OVER TARGET," and if it's less than 0, the returned message will be "Under Target." I really don't want to use a function for this. Here's the code I have so far:

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C-R[-2]C" '*Inserts a formula to calculate the difference between 2 cells
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Select '*Moves 1 column to the right, on the same row

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[-1]=0,""ON TARGET"",0)""",(IF(RC[-1]>0,"OVER TARGET",(IF(RC[-1]<0,"UNDER TARGET")))"

This third formula is the one that always blows up. I've tried writing this several ways, and I always get either a "compile error: Syntax error" message, or a "compile error: Expected end of statement" message.

When all is said and done the formula in the cell should look like:
=IF(R178=0,"ON TARGET",(IF(R178>0,"OVER TARGET",(IF(R178<0,"UNDER TARGET")))))

I obviously have too many (or not enough) "" marks, or too many/not enough ((())) in the VBA code, but after looking at this for hours, I can't tell where the problem is...

PLEASE HELP!!!!:confused::eek:

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Turn on the macro recorder and enter you formula in the appropriate cell. Turn off the recorder and you should have some code with the correct syntax.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back