Excel VBA: Microsoft Office Security blocking

mizogy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I've walked into a problem this morning which I have spent an hour or so trying to problem solve without success. The file hasn't changed overnight, however I suspect our IT Dept have rolled out Microsoft updates which has changed some of the security settings on our closed network.

My problem, I get the following security message (screen shot attached): 'This file contains encrypted macros that have been disabled because there is no antivirus software installed that can scan them. To run this macros, remove the encryption or permissions to the file.'

The macro itself is not encrypted (i.e. not password protected and locked for viewing). Only by removing the password to open the file resolves the issue. Oddly, I have other files which also use macros and are password protected to open the file, however they are are unaffected. Clearly, there must be something slightly different between the files, however despite much problem-solving I am unable to resolve. Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers

Attachments

• Message.png
    Message.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 35

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Are these files stored in the same location? I do occasionally run into issues like this if I get a file out of Dropbox or onedrive or even on my desktop. If I move it to the 'My Documents' folder it then works fine. I can resave it in a location of my choosing and all is well.

Upvote 0
Are these files stored in the same location? I do occasionally run into issues like this if I get a file out of Dropbox or onedrive or even on my desktop. If I move it to the 'My Documents' folder it then works fine. I can resave it in a location of my choosing and all is well.
No, same issue whether the file is attached to email or stored on Sharepoint, OneDrive, network drive or local drive. The only way around it is to manually add the path to the trusted locations list. However, it should not be necessary as worked before, also trying to navigate a large user group to do this would be unworkable.

Upvote 0
Depending on how your IT department deploys software, via SCCM or other, they should be able to push that setting change out to workstations.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I usually get that error message too.

I go to file -> options -> trust center -> trust center settings and add the location there as trusted

Upvote 0
Hello,

I usually get that error message too.

I go to file -> options -> trust center -> trust center settings and add the location there as trusted
Thanks jalrs - I used this solution in the interim whilst IT pushed the change in settings out through a group policy. It was not a long term fix as I could have users saving the files down to different drives, therefore they would need to keep adding the new locations each time.

Upvote 0
When having your IT department set trusted folders on your network drive, they could select a root for example, Drive N:\ and then make sure subfolders is selected. That way, all of drive N:\ would be trusted. You don't want to get too crazy with that sort of thing though because macros can be a security risk.
subfolders.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back