Excel VBA Total number of charges on a bank statement without counting blanks

wafflesncoke

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I get sent a large file that includes bank statement charges. The charges show as date/merchant/amount due to formatting of when they are copied from one system into excel prior to being sent there are "Blanks" listed under amount. The merchant name duplicates on the blank amount rows so a countif i cannot get to work because it counts the duplicated merchant names. I need to count the number of charges from a specific merchant for a certain dollar amount per day. The merchant name and amount and days all change from file to file. I would normally do this by setting filter manually and selecting to unshow blanks on amount then filter merchant then filter through the days the move on to next merchant etc etc this takes alot of time. Im sure there is a way to write some VBA to count this data for me

I cant post the statement but i can describe the best i can... In excel manually scrolling down without any filters i scroll to cell A312 it has the date is is merged and centered with A312-315 next is the merchant name in cells B312 but that entire row to either side is blank then in cell B313 is the merchant name again(this is the row i need to keep and count the cells mentioned above) in cell B314 is the state B315 is the country. I just need row 313 in this instance row 312 314 315 are essentially blank excluding the merge and center and B312 having a merchant name

Book1 (version 1).xlsb
ABCD
1Posted DateMerchantTransactionAmount
2M/D/YLocationDescript
39/20/2021 0:48DepositLoad$844.00
49/20/2021 0:48DepositLoad$844.00
59/20/2021 0:48Google *test:Purchase($5.49)
6Google *test
7999-999-9999, California
8United States
99/20/2021 0:48MarshallsPurchase($5.23)
10Marshalls
11999-999-9999, California
12United States
139/20/2021 0:48NetflixPurchase($5.49)
14Netflix
15999-999-9999, California
16United States
179/20/2021 0:48GOOGLE *testPurchase($5.49)
19855-836-3987, California 94043
20United States
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I made a closer representation of a statement. As close as I could. Column A has the date and time which i only care about the day. You will see now deposits which are one line, and a another charge that the merchant name isn't repeated

Upvote 0
I got it working had to just change a very small portion of yours. Thank you very much for the immense help.

Upvote 0
That is great!

In case you discover your changes didn't quite work, I have made some edits that seem to work with your latest posting of data.

With one exception, I only changed a few things in the first part of the code up to the line that says:
VBA Code:
'
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Start of sheet 3
'

The one exception I mentioned is a line that I added a few lines up from the bottom of the code:
VBA Code:
    wsDestination3.Range("B2:B" & wsDestination3LastRowA).NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"         ' Format the column B range of 3rd destination sheet to "m/d/yyyy"

I mentioned those changes so you don't have to scour through the entire code for changes, since you have to type it all in.

Here is the code in it's entirety, just in case:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub CondenseData_CountAndRemoveDuplicatesV2()
'
    Dim DestinationRowCounter   As Long
    Dim MatchCount              As Long
    Dim SortedArraySlot         As Long
    Dim SortedNoDupesArraySlot  As Long
    Dim SourceLastRowD          As Long
    Dim SourceRow               As Long
    Dim wsDestination2LastRowA  As Long
    Dim wsDestination3LastRowA  As Long
    Dim MatchListArray          As Object
    Dim RowsToDelete            As String
    Dim SortedArray             As Variant, SortedNoDupesArray  As Variant, UnsortedArray   As Variant
    Dim wsDestination2          As Worksheet, wsDestination3    As Worksheet, wsSource      As Worksheet
'
    Set wsSource = Worksheets("Sheet1")                                                         ' <--- Set this to the source sheet name
    SourceLastRowD = wsSource.Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row                             ' Get last used row of Source sheet column D
'
    Sheets.Add After:=Worksheets(Sheets.Count)                                                  ' Add a new sheet to end of this workbook
    Set wsDestination2 = Worksheets(Sheets.Count)                                               ' Set wsDestination2 to last sheet in workbook
'
    wsDestination2.Range("A1:D1").Value = Array("Date", "Merchant", "Transaction", "Amount")    ' Insert the Header for 2nd Destination Sheet
    wsDestination2.Range("A2:A" & SourceLastRowD).NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"                     ' Format the column A range of 2nd destination sheet to "m/d/yyyy"
'
    DestinationRowCounter = 1                                                                   ' Initialize DestinationRowCounter
'
    For SourceRow = 3 To SourceLastRowD                                                         ' SourceRow Loop
        DestinationRowCounter = DestinationRowCounter + 1                                       '   Increment DestinationRowCounter
'
'       Copy condensed data from Source sheet to 2nd sheet
        wsDestination2.Range("A" & DestinationRowCounter).Resize(, 4).Value = wsSource.Range("A" & SourceRow).Resize(, 4).Value
'
'       If not a deposit then change the increment for loop
        If Not wsDestination2.Range("B" & DestinationRowCounter) Like "*eposit*" Then SourceRow = SourceRow + 3
    Next                                                                                        ' Loop back
'
    wsDestination2LastRowA = wsDestination2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row               ' Get last row used of sheet2 column A
'
    UnsortedArray = wsDestination2.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination2LastRowA)                       ' Save unsorted values into 2D 1 based array RC
'
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Start of sheet 3
'
    Sheets.Add After:=Worksheets(Sheets.Count)                                                  ' Add a new sheet to end of this workbook
    Set wsDestination3 = Worksheets(Sheets.Count)                                               ' Set wsDestination3 to last sheet in workbook
'
    wsDestination3.Range("A1:D1").Value = Array("Number of Charges", "Date", "Dollar Amount", "Merchant")   ' Insert the Header for 3rd Destination Sheet
    wsDestination3.Columns("B:B").NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"                                     ' Format the column B of 3rd destination sheet to "m/d/yyyy"
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination2LastRowA) = UnsortedArray                       ' Copy array to 3rd destination sheet
'
'   RANGE SORTER ... Least important column to most important column 4,2,1
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination2LastRowA).Sort Key1:=wsDestination3.Range("D2"), Order1:=xlDescending, _
        Key2:=wsDestination3.Range("B2"), Order1:=xlAscending, _
        Key3:=wsDestination3.Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
'
    SortedArray = wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination2LastRowA)                         ' Save sorted values into 2D 1 based array RC
'
    RowsToDelete = vbNullString                                                                 ' Initialize RowsToDelete string to blank
'
    For SortedArraySlot = UBound(SortedArray) To 2 Step -1                                          ' Backward loop through SortedArray
        If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 1) = SortedArray(SortedArraySlot - 1, 1) Then               '   If SortedArraySlot 1 = Previous slot then ...
            If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 2) = SortedArray(SortedArraySlot - 1, 2) Then           '       If SortedArraySlot 2 = Previous slot then ...
                If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 3) = SortedArray(SortedArraySlot - 1, 3) Then       '           If SortedArraySlot 3 = Previous slot then ...
                    If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 4) = SortedArray(SortedArraySlot - 1, 4) Then   '           If SortedArraySlot 4 = Previous slot then ...
                        RowsToDelete = RowsToDelete & SortedArraySlot & ":" & SortedArraySlot & "," '           Save row to delete to RowsToDelete string
'
                        If Len(RowsToDelete) > 240 Then                                             '       If length of RowsToDelete string > 240 then ...
                            If Right(RowsToDelete, 1) = "," Then                                    '       If RowsToDelete string ends with a comma then ...
                                RowsToDelete = (Left(RowsToDelete, Len(RowsToDelete) - 1))          '           remove the comma from the end of the string
                            End If
'
                            wsDestination3.Range(RowsToDelete).EntireRow.Delete                 '   Delete all of the rows saved to RowsToDelete in one swoop
                            RowsToDelete = vbNullString                                         '   Erase RowsToDelete string
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next                                                                                        ' Loop back
'
    If Len(RowsToDelete) > 0 Then                                                               ' If there are rows to delete in RowsToDelete string then ...
        If Right(RowsToDelete, 1) = "," Then                                                    '   If RowsToDelete string ends with a comma then ...
            RowsToDelete = (Left(RowsToDelete, Len(RowsToDelete) - 1))                          '       remove the comma from the end of the string
        End If
'
        wsDestination3.Range(RowsToDelete).EntireRow.Delete                                     '   Delete all of the rows saved to RowsToDelete in one swoop
        RowsToDelete = vbNullString                                                             '   Erase RowsToDelete string
    End If
'
    wsDestination3LastRowA = wsDestination3.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row               ' Get last row used of sheet3 column A
'
    SortedNoDupesArray = wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA)                  ' Save sorted no duplicate values into 2D 1 based array RC
'
    Set MatchListArray = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")                           ' Initialize MatchListArray
'
    MatchCount = 0                                                                              ' Initialize MatchCount
'
    For SortedNoDupesArraySlot = 1 To UBound(SortedNoDupesArray)                                ' Initialize SortedNoDupesArray loop
        For SortedArraySlot = 1 To UBound(SortedArray)                                          '   Initialize SortedNoDupesArray loop
            If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 1) = SortedNoDupesArray(SortedNoDupesArraySlot, 1) Then
'           If SortedArray slot 1 = SortedNoDupesArray slot 1 then ...
'
                If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 2) = SortedNoDupesArray(SortedNoDupesArraySlot, 2) Then
'               If SortedArray slot 2 = SortedNoDupesArray slot 2 then ...
'
                    If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 3) = SortedNoDupesArray(SortedNoDupesArraySlot, 3) Then
'                   If SortedArray slot 3 = SortedNoDupesArray slot 3 then ...
'
                        If SortedArray(SortedArraySlot, 4) = SortedNoDupesArray(SortedNoDupesArraySlot, 4) Then
'                       If SortedArray slot 4 = SortedNoDupesArray slot 4 then Match has been found ...
                            MatchCount = MatchCount + 1                                                                 '           Increment MatchCount
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        Next                                                                                                            '   Loop back
'
        MatchListArray.Add MatchCount                                                                                   '   Save MatchCount to MatchListArray
        MatchCount = 0                                                                                                  '   Reset MatchCount
    Next                                                                                                                ' Loop back
'
    wsDestination3.Range("D2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Cut wsDestination3.Range("C2:C" & wsDestination3LastRowA)     ' Move column D data to column C
    wsDestination3.Range("B2:B" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Cut wsDestination3.Range("D2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA)     ' Move column B data to column D
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:A" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Cut wsDestination3.Range("B2:B" & wsDestination3LastRowA)     ' Move column A data to column B
'
    wsDestination3.Range("A2").Resize(MatchListArray.Count, 1).Value = Application.Transpose(MatchListArray.ToArray)    ' Display MatchListArray to column A
'
'   RANGE SORTER ... Least important column to most important column 3,2,1
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Sort Key1:=wsDestination3.Range("D2"), Order1:=xlAscending
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Sort Key1:=wsDestination3.Range("C2"), Order1:=xlDescending
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Sort Key1:=wsDestination3.Range("B2"), Order1:=xlDescending
    wsDestination3.Range("A2:D" & wsDestination3LastRowA).Sort Key1:=wsDestination3.Range("A2"), Order1:=xlDescending
'
    wsDestination3.Range("B2:B" & wsDestination3LastRowA).NumberFormat = "m/d/yyyy"         ' Format the column B range of 3rd destination sheet to "m/d/yyyy"
'
    wsDestination3.UsedRange.EntireColumn.AutoFit                                                                       ' Resize columns to fit headers/data
'
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False                                                                                   ' Disable DisplayAlerts to stop warning
    wsDestination2.Delete                                                                                               ' Delete sheet2
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True                                                                                    ' Turn DisplayAlerts back on
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back