Excel Versions - 2010 vs Office 365 - Both 32 Bit

JoeMo

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I've started a one month trial of Office 365. When I did the installation of 365, my 2010 version was left intact. I compared the speed of the two versions by opening them one at a time and running the macro below which writes sequential numbers to a million cells and reports the time elapsed to do so. No other files or applications open. My 2010 version clocked in at 0.21 minutes (as it has for many years), while the 365 version repeatedly took twice as long.

Has anyone using 365 noticed a performance decline compared to older Excel versions?

VBA Code:
Sub SpeedTest()
Dim calcState
calcState = Application.Calculation
'write consecutive integers from 1 to 1,000,000 to a million cells
Rws = 1000
cols = 1000
Cells.Clear
T = Timer
With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    .EnableEvents = False
End With
For i = 1 To Rws
    For j = 1 To cols
        n = n + 1
        Cells(i, j).Value = n
    Next j
Next i
MsgBox Format(Rws * cols, "#,##0") & " cells in " & (Timer - T) / 60 & "minutes"
With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .Calculation = calcState
    .EnableEvents = True
End With
End Sub

My 2010 version clocked in at 0.21 minutes (as it has for many years), while the 365 version repeatedly took twice as long.
The same ratio is for Excel 2016 64 bit (0.28 minutes) vs Excel 2010 32 bit (0.14 minutes) on that test.
And there is no performance difference when changing the Office language and number formats from Russian to English.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
My 2010 version clocked in at 0.21 minutes (as it has for many years), while the 365 version repeatedly took twice as long.
Whilst I only have 365, it only takes 0.22 mins to run that code.

Upvote 0
It's 32bit running on 64bit win10

Upvote 0
Thanks Fluff,
May be Excel 365/2016 32 bit is faster than the same one but 64 bit.
In Excel 64 bit the variant type is no longer 16 bit, it is 16+8 = 24 bit because of 16 bits length in addressing step:
VBA Code:
Sub MemoryStep1()
  Dim a() As Variant
  a = Range("A2:A3").Value
  Debug.Print VarPtr(a(2, 1)) - VarPtr(a(1, 1)) ' it is 16 in Excel 32bit but 24 in Excel 64 bit
End Sub

Sub MemoryStep2()
  Dim a() As Variant
  ReDim a(1 To 2)
  Debug.Print VarPtr(a(2)) - VarPtr(a(1)) ' it is 16 in Excel 32bit but 24 in Excel 64 bit
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The same ratio is for Excel 2016 64 bit (0.28 minutes) vs Excel 2010 32 bit (0.14 minutes) on that test.
And there is no performance difference when changing the Office language and number formats from Russian to English.
Consistent with Rory's comment: " every version of Excel gets slower ". Thanks for this info Zvi.

Upvote 0
Whilst I only have 365, it only takes 0.22 mins to run that code.
The data I presented were acquired from an older computer I decided to use to trial 365. I have a newer computer which runs the SpeedTest code ~ 2X faster than the old computer, both using 32-bit Excel 2010/WIN10 64 bit. It may be your computer's microprocessor performs better than the one I have on the old computer.

Upvote 0
It may be your computer's microprocessor performs better than the one I have on the old computer.
Very possibly, I'm running a 2.8Ghz Intel i5-8400

Upvote 0
Very possibly, I'm running a 2.8Ghz Intel i5-8400
My old computer uses a 2.9Ghz Intel i7-3520M so it's a 3rd generation processor compared to your 8th gen. My newer computer is 1.8Ghz i7-8550U (8th gen chip), so more likely to produce a result comparable to what you see.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back