Excel won't open

abuchanan

I know I did something wrong.
Like a fool, in order to save some space on my local drive, I moved a lot of my applications off to my google drive, including excel, word and powerpoint.. It was kind of slow, but it worked fine running them from my google drive -- until it didn't.

Now I cannot get excel to even open (interestly, word and powerpoint continue to work -- I have the error report that I get when I try to open excel. I put it in a word doc. Wanted to attach, but wasn't sure how to do so.....it is too long to add to this post.)

I'm on an apple, running msO Monteray 12.1

I tried moving the application back to my local drive under applications, but that didn't help.

I would try and just reinstall excel, however this is an older PC I got as a hand me down from my son; and he doesn't seem to have any of the documentation or keys or anything, so I'm out of luck there.

Fortunately I can still open my excel files if I run the online version of excel 360...

Any ideas?
PS. I know, stupid mistake! :)

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
AFAIK, you cannot run most Windows apps by copying over files. The only possible exception I can think of is if everything went back exactly where it was and the registry was not edited. The problem with that is, if you also did an uninstall, hidden program files are gone and the registry has likely been modified. I think you're stuck with buying programs if the original discs or setup files cannot be found. I'd scan the pc for them first. When/if you get things running again, never open an Access db from the cloud or usb drive if you're also using Access.

Upvote 0
AFAIK, you cannot run most Windows apps by copying over files. The only possible exception I can think of is if everything went back exactly where it was and the registry was not edited. The problem with that is, if you also did an uninstall, hidden program files are gone and the registry has likely been modified. I think you're stuck with buying programs if the original discs or setup files cannot be found. I'd scan the pc for them first. When/if you get things running again, never open an Access db from the cloud or usb drive if you're also using Access.

Upvote 0
Thanks for info. Just to provide more details.

Originally all I did was copy the entire excel subdirectory and file over to my cloud based google directory. I actually created a directory on the google drive called Applications. I then copied the entirety of Excel under directory, and also did the same for word and powerpoint.

Once I did that, if I wanted to run any of the microsoft programs, I went to my google drive and started them from there. Everything worked fine (may have been a little slower, but I didn't really notice.)

I could created new excel files, open old excel files... just as if I had the excel program on my local drive.

Then something weird went wrong. I may have been fooling around with the 360 programs online or something, but whatever... something happened just to excel... and now I can no longer open it. I get the error. I didn't move anything that I know of. I feel like google did something different (I know they went to two step authorization)... but seems like something else went on. Don't know what...

In any case, the excel program just stopped running. I can click on it as I did before, but I get that error log. Word and Powerpoint still work (and I have them still on the google drive). And as mentioned, excel worked from the google drive for probably six months or so -- and I used it almost everyday. Then... all of a sudden, I can't use excel.

It was causing a big problem since I had a lot of financial data in excel files, and I couldn't even open them. I was finally able to open them in Google Spreadsheet... and also I went over to the online version of excel, 360, and I could open them. But as you know, you don't have all of the options on 360... I could likely move to google spreadsheet, and may do so, but I've used excel for 20+ years... hate to do that...

When this happened, I tried to COPY excel back to the original location on my C drive, under applications... but I get the same issue... still doesn't work. So currently, I'm just doing the 360 and/or google spreadsheet work arounds. I may be stuck.....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back