Excel Workbook keeps crashing when refreshing PivotTable Data

cdp_excel

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,

I have a large Excel Workbook (xlsx) that keeps crashing when I try to refresh the PivotTables.

With the PivotTable selected, I go to the Analyze tab, select Refresh and the following message pops-up:

“We couldn’t get data from the Data Model. Here’s the error message we got: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

I’ve Googled this and read many different forums (including here) but nothing I’ve tried works.

Some more amplifying information:
  • I’ve opened my Data Connections (Data tab > Connections) and I noticed there are two connections in there. I try to remove them but I get the same error referenced above and I’m not able to remove these connections.
  • I’ve gone to C:/user/APPDATA/LOCAL/TEMP and deleted VeritPaq folders/files.
  • I’ve been working on this workbook for awhile and, several times throughout the process, have renamed the file and some of the objects within it. Not sure if that’s possibly causing a problem, but I did notice that in my Data Connections menu, the connections had dated object names in them.
  • I intend to refresh the workbook on a monthly basis. There are two tabs that I will paste new data into once a month and, as a result, a bunch of formulas/PivotTables throughout the workbook should update.
  • I have had problems with this workbook crashing on and off since I made it. I used to be able to restart it and get it to work, but now it is crashing every single time.
  • I have opened in Safe Mode to see if add ins might be the problem; no luck.
  • To my knowledge, I am not using PowerPivot. I’m not even sure how that works or if maybe I’m using it and just don’t know it yet. But when creating my PivotTables, I did not use any PowerPivot functions.
  • Another strange thing I notice: ever since I created this workbook, my Excel does a couple of things:
    • 1) it opens up a blank Workbook with the same title as the workbook I’m opening. If I close that Workbook, it closes both Workbooks.
    • 2) the Excel startup dialogue box now has some new add-ins or features it’s loading that it didn’t show before (to my knowledge): FUNCRES.XLAM, ATPVBAEN.XLAM, SOLVER.XLAM
  • I am using a company computer so my admin privileges are limited.
I can post the workbook but will have to remove some the data as some is sensitive.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back