Excel Workbook running very slow (Less than 5MB)

desibouy

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I use a workbook with around 3 Macros (No use as of now), it had around 8 tabs. The file size is around 3.30 Mb.
This workbook is used to add products into our CRM system (after saving it to CSV) however this workbook is full of calculations (at least 30 columns which is automated using Formulas), and I've had around 300 lines without any issues. Since yesterday the file has been like a hog, very very slow to navigate around etc.

I have tried to repair Excel, and also Un-install and Re-install Office. I've shut down my PC and restarted so many times, after failing this I did a number of tests and ended up deleted the Macros and deleting all but 3 tabs. I re-saved the file as an .xlsx extension with a different file name i.e. copied the file.
The new file is above 4 Mb, has 3 tabs now and probably around 20 lines but it's still hell-a-slow. I still can't navigate around properly, copying one cell with less than 30 characters take around 5 minutes to paste.

Once again I've tried numerous tests like -
1 .Delete everything after the last Row and Column of Data, just selecting all and deleted (rows and columns).
2. Cleared formatting on rows/columns that were not used but this hasn't changed the file size, it's still showing above 4 Mb.
3. Deleted every worksheet but the file size hasn't changed.

I tried to copy the content of the 20 rows with formulas and paste into a new excel workbook but after an hour it's not responding. I can't do anything and because I'm dumb I only just tested other worksheets (tested 3, 2 workbooks above 8-10 MB) and they are very speedy. So the problem lies on this workbook.

I have also tried open and repair option but that hasn't worked, can't open this file in Office 365 Online app.

TL;DR -

1. Workbook around 3 Mb very slow, unable to navigate or do anything. Pasting takes 5 minutes for small data.
2. Uninstalled/Reinstalled with no Luck
3. Other Spreadsheets working fine
4. Cleared unused Formatting and Formulas.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

-- To add --

Using the Workbook it causes crashes i.e. while pasting for example, when trying to end Excel ,Task-manager showed Excel Power Usage as Very High.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Thank you so much. I found those meddling objects, took 2 hours of finding, deleting and loads of crashing! Found I think 6 probably more couldn't see as it was in pre-crash phase.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back