EXCEL

Almevt

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I am trying to work on excel doing a logbook on my mac. I have 2 xlsb files (places and reasons) that have to merge to give me the column in my mine file xlsm. The first function I have to do is to do in the workbook is to enable Macros. Then update. The the whole workbook appears, I enter all the amounts in the various columns. When I want to fill in the PLACES and REASONS I get the following answer: ( I have attached the 3 images I get. I hope you will be able to help me as it is urgent.

EDIT:
I can seem to upload the images as they are to big. but it says the following: Unable to open Excel File: Logbook Reasons.xlsb
Unable to open Excel File: Logbook Places.xlxb
the last message I get
Microsoft Visual basic:

Script out of range.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Can you open the xlsb files manually on your Mac?

Normally excel files are stored as .xlsx or .xlsm, which are essentially zipped xml files. .xlsb is a binary storage format, and is more akin to the old .xls format.

I use .xlsb format when I have files with very large data sets, as they are then very much smaller in file size then the equivalent .xlsx

So if you cannot open the xlsb file, ask someone with a windows pc to open the file and store as xlsm

Then amend the extensions in the macro

Upvote 0
Can you open the xlsb files manually on your Mac?

Normally excel files are stored as .xlsx or .xlsm, which are essentially zipped xml files. .xlsb is a binary storage format, and is more akin to the old .xls format.

I use .xlsb format when I have files with very large data sets, as they are then very much smaller in file size then the equivalent .xlsx

So if you cannot open the xlsb file, ask someone with a windows pc to open the file and store as xlsm

Then amend the extensions in the macro
Thank you so much for coming back to me. I can open the xlsb files on my Mac and I saved them as xlsm files. Can you please tell me how to amend the extensions in the macro. I am a not really a computer boffin!!

Upvote 0
Script out of range.
If you mean Subscript out of range then that is caused by a naming error in the code.
In your case this is probably because you have spelt the extension wrong in "Logbook Places.xlxb", it should be .xlsb

Upvote 0
If you mean Subscript out of range then that is caused by a naming error in the code.
In your case this is probably because you have spelt the extension wrong in "Logbook Places.xlxb", it should be .xlsb
Sounds complicated to me but I will try. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Open the macro in the VBA editor. Do a search for xlxb. Replace it with xlsb. Then retry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hherna01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back