Excel365 Cascading Data Validation between multiple worksheets (within same workbook) - no VBA

Dimitri_TE

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm developing a workbook for Risk Analysis. Currently we have a single list/array with several thousand lines.
We want to make it more managable, by splitting it according the different departments.
But the Risk Theme and specific Risks are identical for all departments.

I've created a 'Background' sheet where there's a Table with the Risk Themes and the specific Risks that are linked.
The specific Risks are a casade of the Risk Theme: e.g.: High Risk jobs (= theme) has 4 specific risks, Chemical reagents (=theme) has 10 specific risks, etc
So far so good, when I create a cascading List on the Background sheet. When I select a Theme (purple cell I1 = dropdown box = based on unique List from column C), I get the Range in columns E and F. Based on selected value in I1 and with Data Validation, I'm able to fill the Dropdown box in I2 with the data from column F.
Basic cascading Data Validation

But now I want to make the formula dynamic by referencing the Theme from a any worksheet. So referencing in e.g. LabQC-Sheet must deliver the same cascading effect, but the Dropdown boxes will be located on the LaboQC-sheet, while the arrays are still on the Background-sheet. Extra attention is that the Dropdown boxes will be located in Named Tables.
Basicly: the reference to "I1" in the formula in the screenshot above, needs to be a Named Table reference of column D, on a worksheet that is not the Background worksheet.

view of specific worksheet LaboQC

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back