Excell Formula Wildcard

Drewgarry007

Board Regular
Hi,

Hopefully this is an easy one for you guys. I am trying to use a wild card at the end of a formula

Excel 2010 32 bit
A
B
C
D
E
F
USD/TWD
19-Dec-16​
USD/TWD 19/12/2016*USD/TWD 16/12/2016 NDF
USD/TWD 19/12/2016 NDF
FALSE​
USD/CNH 06/03/2017

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet: Sheet1

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula i'm using in "D2" is: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",TEXT(B2,"DD/MM/YYYY")&"*")

I want to be able to match the currency pair and date but nothing else after that. Is this possible?

FYI - I get a true result using this formula: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",TEXT(B2,"DD/MM/YYYY")," ","NDF") but the same will not work for cell "F4"

Thanks again for your help.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Instead of adding a wildcard to match, why not just compare the concatenated string without the wildcard to the first 18 characters of what is in column F?

Upvote 0
Instead of adding a wildcard to match, why not just compare the concatenated string without the wildcard to the first 18 characters of what is in column F?

This is actually a test just to see if I can get the wildcard to work to create the string I want. The reason being I'm actually using it in a index/match/match formula and the Row_num match is failing. I just thought it would be easier to ask the question this way?

The Lookup_value I'm using is: A2&"*" which = "USD/TWD" because there are two rows "Col F" which have "USD/TWD" in it row_num always seems to pick the first row with "USD/TWD" in it but I want to change the lookup_value to lookup the currency pair and date to fix this issue, hope that makes sense?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In D4 enter:

=ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("|"&A2&" "&TEXT(B2,"dd/mm/yyyy"),"|"&$F$2:$F$4)))

Upvote 0
I don't think this will work as a lookup_value in a Index/match/match formula. I need a value to lookup the Row_num

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("|"&A2&" "&TEXT(B2,"dd/mm/yyyy"),"|"&$F$2:$F$4),ROW($F$2:$F$4))

delivers the native row number.

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("|"&A2&" "&TEXT(B2,"dd/mm/yyyy"),"|"&$F$2:$F$4),ROW($F$2:$F$4)-ROW($F$2)+1)

delivers the relative row number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back