EXCELL, "IF" FORMULA

dave8664

I AM TRYING TO USE THE IF FORMULA TO CHANGE THE TEXT IN CELL D1,TO A DESCRIPTION BASED ON A VAULE IN CELL C1.EXAMPLE: =IF(C1=1,F1,IF(C1=2,F2))
CELLS IN THE F COLUMN HAVE THE DESCRIPTION
TO MATCH THE VALUES OF 1 OR 2 OR SO ON.
I NEED TO HAVE MANY IF VALUES, 100 OR SO. THE IF FUNCTION ONLY ALLOWS FOR 7 VAULES DO I USE VLOOKUP? OR SOMETHING ELSE.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
You are right each cells "If statement" can only have seven nested IF's but the last "IF" can direct the next condition to an additional cell(s). Each additional cell containing seven more "If's."

Also your sample is incorrect your last "If" needs a "then" condition result, IF(test,then,else) syntax!

If(test,then,If(test,then,else))

Yes, I would use a "VLookUp" in your case. JSW

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-04 10:07, dave8664 wrote:
I AM TRYING TO USE THE IF FORMULA TO CHANGE THE TEXT IN CELL D1,TO A DESCRIPTION BASED ON A VAULE IN CELL C1.EXAMPLE: =IF(C1=1,F1,IF(C1=2,F2))
I NEED TO HAVE MANY IF VALUES, 100 OR SO. THE IF FUNCTION ONLY ALLOWS FOR 7 VAULES DO I USE VLOOKUP? OR SOMETHING ELSE.

Dave,

If you have unique look up vales (1, 2)that translates into description, then use VLOOKUP. However if you have only values 1 and 2 describing more than 2 things, the another route you must take!
Book1
ABCD
11red3blue
22green
33blue
44yellow
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Also,
=INDIRECT("f"&C1)
may work for you. Generally, try to avoid the use of volotile functions such as this, but sometimes they fit the bill.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-04 10:07, dave8664 wrote:

If the domain of C1 are integers that obey the rule 1, 2, 3,..., then you could also use in D...

=INDEX(F-range,C1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back