exiting array formula evaluation mode

yky

To see the evaluation of an array formula, one can highlight the array formula and hit F9. Hitting ESC should exit the evaluation mode and go back to display the array formula. It has happened to me a few times that ESC doesn't show the array formula. I was stuck in the evaluation mode. Any way out?

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
I have not experienced that or know what might cause it. If it happens, does clicking the 'X' formula bar button to the left of the formula bar take you back out?

yky

Ctrl-Z doesn't work. Clicking "X" doesn't work.

OK. Sorry for the misinformation. Undo works to get the array formula back.

Last edited:

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Ctrl Z works for me, but you may need to do it a few times, depending on what other changes you made

yky

This is how I get into trouble.

Select an array formula or a portion of it, hit F9 to display the evaluation, copy the evaluation, select a cell and paste the evaluation.

This way, when going back to the formula bar, I have found no way of getting the array formula back except doing undo. However, undo erases the pasted evaluation. So, the net result is just a waste of time.

To paste evaluation, after copying, one needs to hit ESC or Ctrl-Z to get the array formula back first and then paste. Otherwise, you either lose the pasted evaluation or the array formula. Can't have both of them at the same time.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
OK, post 1 didn't mention anything about copy - leave cell - paste - return to cell so I certainly thought the issue was a different one. :eek:

In any case, this is the simple solution for you isn't it?
To paste evaluation, after copying, one needs to hit ESC or Ctrl-Z to get the array formula back first and then paste.

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Get External Data (long shot question!)
    This is likely a long shot but I am wondering if it is at all possible for Excel to somehow 'change' the contents of a URL that is being linked to...
  • Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • Cell Formatting
    Good Morning, I need to format a few different cells in the following manners: A1 has to always add a colon (:) after whatever is typed in by a...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • Workbook_Change stopped working !
    I am working on an app to speed up & automate processing of Credit Cards statements. After data is input from a CSV file, it is presented to the...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...