Expand data validation to more than 8 entries

Rock5150

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
How do i expand the visual list of items for data validation dropdown? Its currently at 8 per 'screen' and want to make it to say up to 30-40. I know its long but i don't like using the pg down or scroll bar. I know i have seen using maybe forms control but i do like data validation because i can highlight the cells i want to use for the drop down and click the arrow drop one for each cell.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Thanks Joe4. Ok now that i have that, the only thing is how do i apply for say 100 other cells? In the cell reference i just put one cell for where the form control is at. HOw do i copy so that it will copy the same form control in cell reference to the next cell below? Can that be done? Or do i have to do a form control for 'each cell"?

Upvote 0
In short i don't want to create 100 "control" boxes. I want to maybe create one and copy however i'm finding that cell reference link is tied to use for an index. I don't know if that cell link reference in the control properties can be copied cell reference. I doubt it. So in cell AF2, have the drop down show say 30 names. I did use the controls form and it 'works' however again i don't want to create another form for AF3, AF4, etc.

Alexander Jeffrey
Alston James
Archuleta Michael
Atkinson Ray
Avery Al
Baker Bea
Battle Joseph
Battle Michael
Bell Lamar
Bethley Margie
Blanton Cheryl
Bolden Anthony
Briggs Shawn
Brister Antonio
Brown Art
Brown Darnell
Brown Kendall
Carter Leonard
Carter Myra
Colebrook James
Colebrook Sean
Condry Daryle
Cooper Kelly
Crawford Patricia
Davis Harold
Davis Murry
Daye Bobby
Dixon Lonnie
Duarte Dario
Dubose Damitoin
Eaton Bill
Edmonds Jojo
Edmonds Scott
Ely James
Fernandez Cy

Upvote 0
In short i don't want to create 100 "control" boxes.

If you're interested, here's an example of a searchable drop-down:

OR

use an add-in called "Search deList"

Upvote 0
AlphaFrog, thanks for the link. I got the combo box, properties set and copied the code but for some reason similar to the sample file, the "combo box" is not laying on top of the default data validation box similar to the sample file. I rechecked the code and i copied everything and put my list of data on the same sheet as the active worksheet. Any advise? If you need the cells exported here i can do that but not sure if those combo boxes will show up. Let me know please. Almost there

Upvote 0
AlphaFrog, ignore. I was in "design mode" still for the combo box lol. THis works great!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back