Expanding my programming knowledge

mathisp64

All, I've devoted many hours learning vba and it has peaked my interest in expanding my knowledge of other languages. For the moment the majority of my work would be in applications and not web developement. My dilemma is what language will give me the most flexibilty and what developement suite is the best.

I've looked at java and ms studio express. While java looks to be more user freiendly, the language and syntax appears unique. MS Studio has optional compilers for programming in C+, C++, and C#, but the learning curve is steeper. My office will be getting MatLab soon and as I understand is C based.

I'm past my abilty to discern what the best course I should to take. So I'm hoping to get some sound advice from a savvy group of programmers.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
It depends what you want it for: if it's for yourself and not necessarily to assist your current career I would heartily recommend Ruby which has a gorgeous syntax (and which I find very similar in many ways to VBA, although it is fully object-oriented) - you can then apply this to web programming and stand-alone stuff; if however your aim is to be able to do more/better things at work then you should probably target what platforms/languages work uses (in my workplace, this would be C# for example).

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhojraj

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...