Expense Report Formula Help

Kevincc

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey yawl,

I'm not very advanced with Excel so I apologize if this is a silly question.
I'm building an expense report that I can drop each months expenses in. I have it set up to color coat each purchase depending on what category I want them to fall under. I was wondering if there is a formula that would automatically take the Month from all of A, color from all of B and the purchase attached to the color and then give me a total for each color by month?

Thanks so much for taking a look!

Best,
Kevin C

Attachments

• Expense 1.png
    Expense 1.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
How did you set up your color coding? Are you doing it manually, or using conditional formatting?

If you are using conditional formatting you can use the same logic to calculate the sums.

If you are coloring the cells manually, it's difficult. It's possible, but you have to either use VBA or Excel4 macros. How to Sum by Color in Excel (Formula & VBA) - Trump Excel

A better design is to add another column to give the category instead of using colors. Then you can use SUMIF for the sums.

It looks like you blanked out a bunch of your text so it's a little hard to tell what you're doing. What is the difference between columns E:Q and R:AD?

Upvote 0
Thanks for looking at it,
I used conditional formatting in the hopes that when I add new months down the road it will automatically brake down all the expensive into the right groups
E:Q and R:AD are category's for needful expenses and not needful expenses.

Attachments

• Expense 2.png
    Expense 2.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
I'm talking about how you color column B. What are your conditional formatting rules? It will help if you give all the information up front.

Upvote 0
My apologies, I'm using Key words with in the description of the transactions for the conditional formatting
1661547064486.png

I was hopeful that since there is such a large variety of purchase discerptions, If I could color coat them I could then just filter by color.
That works if I want to manually group them and then add up the totals. However, I would like to get rid of the manual part if I can.

1661547307851.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back