1Time since startTime differenceResult
50.030.01#N/A
60.040.01#N/A

<tbody>
</tbody>

OK, this one has me stumped.
Column A is just values.
Formula in B3 is A3-A2, copied down.
Formula in C3 is VLOOKUP(B3,LookupTable,35,FALSE), copied down. So C4 is VLOOKUP(B4,OutputGrid,35,FALSE), etc.

So how to explain the errors? It works fine for the first 2 iterations, then fails for... no reason? I tried using "Evaluate Formula" function, but in all cases everything looks identical, except in C5 (and beyond) the last step gives a #N/A instead of 10.

Some notes:
  • LookupTable is on another sheet. It's pretty large
  • LookupTable is a named range, but the failure persists even if I use regular range references.
  • If I use VLOOKUP(B3,LookupTable,35,TRUE), this seems to work for some reason. Well, it should work, but FALSE should work as well, and it does for the first 2 instances.
  • The value 0.01 definitely exists in LookupTable.
  • The (leftmost) values in LookupTable are in ascending order.
  • In this file, I previously had an error. Something along the lines of "/xl/calcChain.xml" was removed or something like that. I thought it was repaired, but later I noticed that if I added or removed a column from the sheet that LookupTable was on, Excel would be stuck forever in a calcuation loop. I fixed this, by copying all formulas on the sheet to another sheet. Maybe the issue is deeper than I suspected?

Ideas?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
When you use FALSE in the VLOOKUP it looks for an exact match (0.01 would not equal say 0.011). When you use TRUE in the VLOOKUP it looks for a match or the closest match below the value (values must be in ascending order). As pointed out by StephenCrump you need to use the round function to get an exact match. Just changing a cells format to say two decimal places does not change the actual value in the cell, just what's displayed on the screen.

Upvote 0
Further to AhoyNC's comment ...

The difference may be very small, and not even apparent, because of the way Excel calculates and stores floating point numbers. See here, for example: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/78113

Your differences of 0.01 can't be represented exactly in binary.

Excel is smart enough to return TRUE for:
=0.03-0.02=0.01

So in my view is being a little inconsistent in returning #N/A rather than "Found it!" for:
=VLOOKUP(0.03-0.02,{0.01,"Found it!"},2,)

Hence the need to round to the precision of your VLOOKUP table:
=VLOOKUP(ROUND(0.03-0.02,2),{0.01,"Found it!"},2,) will return "Found it!"

Upvote 0
Geez... OK I get it now. Thanks for the explanations, this issue had me perplexed!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back