Export Comments with referred text and line numbers from Word to Excel

Masarah

Office Version
Platform
MacOS
Hello,

Unfortunately, I have no idea about Macros and VBA and everything I find in the internet is half information so I hope someone can tell me step by step what to do:

For my master thesis, I commented on interviews in Word.
To analyse further, I need to export the comments with the referred text and the line number (from word doc) to an excel spread sheet - so 3 columns (line - comment - referred text) with one line per comment.

1) How do I start the process in word? I have word 2019. Under "View", there is a "Macros" option, but it only says "record" and "view", but I can not record
2) Which code do I have to type in (as far as I understood from my internet research, i need to enter a code)
3) Is there something more I have to do or does the excel open and create itself?

Thank you yo much for your help!

Best
S.

Macropod

Retired Moderator
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub ExportComments()
' Note: A reference to the Microsoft Excel # Object Library is required, set via Tools|References in the Word VBE.
Dim StrCmt As String, StrTmp As String, i As Long, j As Long, xlApp As Object, xlWkBk As Object
StrCmt = "Page,Line,Author,Date & Time,Comment,Reference Text"
StrCmt = Replace(StrCmt, ",", vbTab)
With ActiveDocument
  ' Process the Comments
  For i = 1 To .Comments.Count
    With .Comments(i)
      StrCmt = StrCmt & vbCr & .Reference.Information(wdActiveEndAdjustedPageNumber) & vbTab
      StrCmt = StrCmt & .Reference.Information(wdFirstCharacterLineNumber) & vbTab & .Author & vbTab
      StrCmt = StrCmt & .Date & vbTab & Replace(Replace(.Range.Text, vbTab, "<TAB>"), vbCr, "<P>")
      StrCmt = StrCmt & vbTab & Replace(Replace(.Reference.Text, vbTab, "<TAB>"), vbCr, "<P>")
    End With
  Next
End With
' Test whether Excel is already running.
On Error Resume Next
Set xlApp = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
'Start Excel if it isn't running
If xlApp Is Nothing Then
  Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
  If xlApp Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "Can't start Excel.", vbExclamation
    Exit Sub
  End If
End If
On Error GoTo 0
With xlApp
  Set xlWkBk = .Workbooks.Add
  ' Update the workbook.
  With xlWkBk.Worksheets(1)
    For i = 0 To UBound(Split(StrCmt, vbCr))
      StrTmp = Split(StrCmt, vbCr)(i)
        For j = 0 To UBound(Split(StrTmp, vbTab))
          .Cells(i + 1, j + 1).Value = Split(StrTmp, vbTab)(j)
        Next
    Next
    .Columns("A:D").AutoFit
  End With
  ' Tell the user we're done.
  MsgBox "Workbook updates finished.", vbOKOnly
  ' Switch to the Excel workbook
  .Visible = True
End With
' Release object memory
Set xlWkBk = Nothing: Set xlApp = Nothing
End Sub
Note: Although Word can return the line # on a given page, it can't easily do so for the line # in the document as a whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomar116

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...