Exporting to CSV-format using comma instead of Semicolon

Jan Hoffmann

Hello Everybody,

I have an Excel-sheet, which I want to save as csv-format. I need the columns to be delimited by comma, however when I save the file as a csv-file, the columns are delimited by semicolon instead. How can I change this?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Jan Hoffmann

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I could be a problem with your Windows Regional and Language settings. Goto Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> On the "Regional Options" tab, click the "Customize" button. -> On the "Numbers" tab, you'll see a field for "List separator"

If it has a semicolon in it, then that is probably your problem. Change it to a comma. If that doesn't do it, let me know and I'll think about it some more.

(When I changed mine from a comma to a semicolon, then created a CSV file, it created it with semicolon delimiters.)

Upvote 0
Hello!

I have exactly the same problem. Instead of a comma, I get a semicolon, and it is only happening since a few weeks ago! Before that, it always used to come out with a comma. I don't remember changing anything that could have caused this.

I followed your advice zac_fozz, and I found out in my regional settings the "List separator" was really a semicolon, so I changed it to a comma, hoping that the problem was solved, but unfortunately nothing changed!! :(

Any more ideas? What else could be causing this??

Upvote 0
Any more ideas? What else could be causing this??

No, I'm sorry. I don't. I know this sounds basic, but I would try restarting your computer after making (and applying) the change to your regional settings, then checking to make sure the change is still there.

The fact that when you looked in your "List separator" settings and there was a semicolon instead of a comma says to me that it probably is the problem. Maybe the change didn't take.

That's all I've got.

Upvote 0
No, i've done that; restarted the pc, checked if the change is still there, it is - it's comma now, but excel still uses a semicolon for csv!!:eek:

thanks for your help anyway

If anyone has any idea idea.... would be nice

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back