Exporting to Excel: Formatting Question

nico

Board Regular
I created a macro (OutputTo Action) to export an active Report to Excel format. Everything works fine, except for a formatting issue. The Table that the Report is based on includes 3 combo box fields ("Hour", "Minute", and "AM/PM"). The Query for the Report includes a new column: "Time". This column combines the 3 fields into the following format: [Hour] & ":" & [Minute] & " " & [AM/PM]. In the Report View, the data displays correctly. But when I export to Excel, it appears in the default "General" format. If I format the cells to "Time" format, it works, but I was wondering if there was a way to have the data exported into the same Excel template file each time or if I could code in the proper formatting. Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I haven't tried it but I wonder if exporting using the 'formatted' option would give you the solution.
However, I tend to use the reverse approach: in Excel I use Data | Import External Data | New Database Query and navigate to my Access Query as the data source. After the first import I then use the Data Range Properties (on that same menu) to ensure that a prompt is given to offer a refresh of that data on opening the Excel workbook. The Excel worksheet formatting does not get changed by the import and you can add extra columns, to the imported dataset, in Excel with formulas etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back