Extending conditional formatting to rest of row?

MrPez

Board Regular
I'm trying to extend conditional formatting. Its very simple, the formula for the formatting in cell F18 is =ISNUMBER(F$17) which checks if there is a number in the cell above, and if there is, changes the font colour.

Problem is, when I try and extend to the rest of the row, the formula stays the same, still looking at F17 for a number.

Am I missing something obvious here? I thought having F$17 rather than $F$17 should allow it to extend?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
The column reference will change relatively if you copy the Conditional Formatting across. Don't take any notice of what it says in the Edit Formatting Rule dialog.

Upvote 0
Try clearing the conditional formatting on the rest of the row then user Format painter to paste from the original cells to others.

Upvote 0
The column reference will change relatively if you copy the Conditional Formatting across. Don't take any notice of what it says in the Edit Formatting Rule dialog.
Thanks for that, it does work after all, just the dialog is wrong! I hadn't thought to actually check by typing in a number!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back