External Links automatically updating Excel 2016

Da Cooler

So I have many Excel spreadsheets that contain numerous external links that I don't necessarily want to update every time I open the file. For example, somebody might update some data in another file that I'm not ready to pick up yet. All of a sudden, every single file that I open that contains links, automatically updates from the source files. The weird thing is that when my boss opens the same file (stored on a shared drive), it doesn't automatically update. I've tried to find some general setting that is driving this but can't find anything that works across all files at once.

I'm also getting the "We can't update some of the links in your workbook right now. You can continue without updating their values or edit the links you think are wrong" error message with every file that has links. I click continue or just cancel, it updates the links anyway. Again, my boss doesn't get this message opening the same file.

I've tried going into the Trust Centre and External Content settings and clicking "Disable automatic update of external links". Doesn't work.

I've tried going into Advanced Settings/When calculating this workbook and turning off "update links to other documents" and "save external link values" Doesn't work and next time I open file, "update links to other documents" is clicked back on but "save external link values" remains unchecked.

I tried going into Edit Links and changing the startup prompt to "Don't display the alert and don't update automatic links" This one seems to work but I shouldn't have to do this for every single file that I open. I didn't turn it on in individual files so I don't think I'd have to turn it off individually in ~100 different files. And even if I did want to do this, as soon as I open the file to make these setting changes, the file has already updated.

The fact that it's only happening to me kind of points to some sort of general setting problem.

Help...I've run out of ideas and am losing my mind!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back