external links....HELP!!!!!

merlin_the_magician

This is really starting to **** me off…..

I have a workbook that contains several links to external files. All works just fine, except for the popup that appears on opening the workbook asking me wheather or not to update links. :oops: YES I want to update the links, and NO I do not want this popup to bother me eith this question every time.
Strangest thing of all…. When I open the workbook on my own pc, there is no popup, but when someone else opens it, the bloody thing appears again and again…. Aaaaargggghhhhh….!!!!

I already tried to disable the “auto update links” option in Edit the menu, but this seems not to be succesfull, the popup still appears.
Also I tried to bypass it by VBA using both

application.asktoupdatelinks=false
as well as

Application.ThisWorkbook.UpdateLinks = xlUpdateLinksNever

Still the :devilish: thing pops up. It doesn’t seem to matter if the file is stored locally or on a network drive.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to deal with this? It’s driving me to desperate insanity…
:oops: :ROFLMAO:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Well, the VBA solution won't work because the code does not fire until after XL has already prompted the user, so scratch that option.

Now is the "Ask to Update Links" option enabled/disabled on your PC? What about on the other user's PC's?

Upvote 0
VBA works like somes filter after actually opeing the workbook... figured that allright...

The "auto update links" is disabled on the other systems as well, so that is not likely to be the problem...

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a version issue, but on the Edit tab under Options, check the "Ask to Update Links" option.

Upvote 0
We use Office XP with service pack2.
Checked the "Ask to Update Links" option (also with other systems) but this is no good eighter....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back