External Links not auto-updating when Source File is OPEN

BBEKKS

I have a very odd occurrence happening. My linked data is not updating when my source file is open. I have a central workbook that has links to about two-dozen source workbooks. The links work properly when I open the file. However, if I open both the Master workbook and one of the source files and proceed to change one of the inputs from the source file, the update does not flow through to the Master file.

If I then save the source file and click Edit Links >> Update Values in the Connections section of the Data tab of the Master workbook, the data updates. I don't want to have to perform this manual "push" every time I update the source.

The only symptom I can find is that the reference to the source file in the Master file does not become an internal reference when the source workbook is open. It retains the entire file path (i.e. 'C:\shared\username\folder\[filename.xlsm]sourcedata'!$D$3) instead of simply beginning with the bracketed expression ([filename.xlsm]sourcedata!$D$3).

Using Excel 2013.

I have checked my calculation settings to automatic, and have Trust-Center set to the most permissive setting possible. I have automatic updating of links turned on. This workbook is password protected for EDITING (it can be viewed without a password).

Please help!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back