Extra protection - VBA?

boeb

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I've had some experience with unlocking Excel-files where password for protection has been unknown (zipping the excel-file and editing the xml) which I find would be quite easy even for the average computer user to carry through.
However, if i recall correctly, I've came across Excel-files where sheets has been hidden in the VBA-module and the VBA-structure was password protected.
I assume was has been used is "very hidden sheet" (like this-> link) in combination with a password protection of the VBA-strucure.

Do any of you have experience of this and now more detailed how to carry this trough the best way? Any additional tips to increase protection? (or at least make it more of a hassle to unprotect).

PS. The Excel-file contains no sensitive information as I am aware this is not suitable for Excel. However I want to hide how I've made my calculations.
My Idea is to have av unhidden "Input"-sheet, an (very)hidden "Calculation"-sheet and an unhidden "Output"-sheet which takes data from the calculation sheet.

Thanks for any input,

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Ultimately Excel is not secure in anyway & it's not that difficult to hack a password protected VBA project.

Upvote 0
Indeed, that is my understanding as well. This will be an interim solution and the Excel-file will have limited distribution. My plan is to convert the Excel-file to a webpage eventually.
However, I want to make is as protected as possible for now and mainly make it not worth it to go through the hassle of unprotecting it (for one not familiar with Excel in general).

Upvote 0
Making the sheet very hidden & protecting the project will be more secure than just hiding & protecting the sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back