Extract characters from a cell using VBA

Kurt

I am trying to extract another set of characters from this same line:

Code:
MECH~CDA-CUP-PF~1 - CUP0915.2XL - Copper Reducer (P)

Code:
AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 2).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(MID(AA" & Row & ",FIND(""`"",AA" & Row & ")+1,FIND(""~"",AA" & Row & ")-1-FIND(""`"",AA" & Row & ")),"""")"

In this piece of code I need to extract the CDA. I have tried changing the character to match the - but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

For 3 letters simply make this change
AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 2).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(LEFT(AA" & Row & ",FIND(""-"",AA" & Row & ")+3),"""")"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Fluff in this example I need the CDA-CUP-PF to be displayed.

The MECH has already been taken care of. Again thanks for your efforts and everyone looking.

Upvote 0
A VBA UDF approach

For "CDA"
=extractword(A1,2,"~- ")​

For "MECH~CDA-CUP"
=SUBSTITUTE(extractword(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","$",1),1,"-"),"$","-",1)​

Code:
'Returns the designated word from a string, where WordDelimiters is a character string containing word delimiters, e.g. WordDelimiters = " ,[];"
Function ExtractWord(ByVal AnyString As String, ByVal WordNo As Long, ByVal WordDelimiters As String) As String
    Dim SA, I As Long, WCnt As Long

If Len(WordDelimiters) > 1 Then
        For I = 1 To Len(WordDelimiters)
            AnyString = VBA.Replace(AnyString, Mid$(WordDelimiters, I, 1), Left(WordDelimiters, 1))
        Next I
    End If

SA = Split(AnyString, Left(WordDelimiters, 1))
    WCnt = 0
    For I = 0 To UBound(SA)
        If SA(I) <> "" Then
            WCnt = WCnt + 1
            If WCnt = WordNo Then
                ExtractWord = SA(I)
                Exit For
            End If
        End If
    Next I
End Function

Upvote 0
I apologize for the confusion Fluff.

I need this type of code to display CDA-CUP-PF

Code:
   AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 2).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(LEFT(AA" & Row & ",FIND(""-"",AA" & Row & ")-1),"""")"

However we need it to change using MID or RIGHT or ?? is quit OK.

Upvote 0
For "CDA-CUP-PF"
=extractword(A1,2,"~")​

So would it be something like this:

Code:
AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 2).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(=extractword(A1,2,""~"")

or something else based on this example of code

Code:
AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 2).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(LEFT(AA" & Row & ",FIND(""-"",AA" & Row & ")-1),"""")"
Code:

Upvote 0
So would it be something like this:

Code:
AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 2).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(=extractword(A1,2,""~"")

I don't know what AddFormula is. I assume it is some sort of subroutine you have written to add formulas to a range? If it worked for your other formulas then it is reasonable to think it will work for this one; but I have no way to test or verify.

Upvote 0
I don't know what AddFormula is. I assume it is some sort of subroutine you have written to add formulas to a range? If it worked for your other formulas then it is reasonable to think it will work for this one; but I have no way to test or verify.

The word will change so I don't think I can use that syntax.

I need to follow this format:

Code:
    AddFormula TopLeft.Offset(1, 3).Resize(RowCount, 1), "=IFERROR(MID(AA" & Row & ",FIND(""~"",AA" & Row & ")+1,FIND(""|"",AA" & Row & ")-1-FIND(""~"",AA" & Row & ")),"""")"

To extract text something like this: "CDA-CUP-PF"

How do I get the above code to see the two hyphens to extract the text string?

Upvote 0
That is the value of using delimiters to extract text, it does not matter if the word changes, it only matters if the delimiters change.

If this is an example of your data

MECH~CDA-CUP-PF~1 - CUP0915.2XL - Copper Reducer (P)

Then it suggests that what you are trying to do is extract data from a parts list or bill of materials. Such data tends to be organized. That is, the same information is usually in the same place. So far you have been asking for help without explaining the broader picture. That means that the solution to your first question (how to get "CDA") did not really help when the requirement became how to get "CDA-CUP-PF" instead.

You will get more effective help if you take some time and explain the data organization of your parts list and what pieces of information you are trying to extract. There might be a different approach that will more efficiently provide the data you want.

http://xyproblem.info/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back