Extract Data from a Table with Macro/VBA

acerlaptop

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I Have a table and Macro code below. What I want to do is:
-Copy all numbers to a worksheet named "TEST" (Helper worksheet)
-Criteria are:
1. If Header of Column is "Total" - End VBA
2. Start with Range(E2) then if value is "-" or if Value of Cells(activerow, 2) = blank then select next row
3. If activerow is greater than LastRow, select next column row 2.
4. if Value is not "-" or if Value of Cells(activerow, 2) is NOT blank, then copy activecell to worksheet(test) range(A & LastRowT + 1)

But the macro just keeps runnig without ending.

Any ideas?

Thanks

VBA Code:
Sub Test()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim aC As Integer
Dim aR As Integer
Dim ActiveC As Range
Dim LastRow As Integer
Dim LastrowT As Integer

Sheets.Add
ActiveSheet.Name = "TEST"

Sheets("Booking").Activate
Range("E2").Select

LastRow = Worksheets("Booking").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
aR = ActiveCell.Row
aC = ActiveCell.Column
Set ActiveC = Cells(aR, aC)

Do While True
    If Cells(1, aC) = "Total" Then
        Exit Do
    Else
        If aR > LastRow Then
            Range(aC + 1 & "2").Select
        Else
            If Selection.Value = "-" Or Cells(aR, 2) = "" Then
                Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
            Else
                LastrowT = Worksheets("TEST").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
                ActiveC.copy
                Worksheets("TEST").Range("A" & LastrowT + 1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
            End If
        End If
    End If
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

1596331346059.png

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hello acerlaptop,

I think your issue is you don't have "-" in your data but rather a "zero" formatted as "-" so your loop keeps copying the cell E2 endlessly. Few tips based on your code
  1. As a general rule in VBA, you hardly need to 'select' any cell as it just unnecessarily slows down your code
  2. You can directly assign the value of a cell/range to another without the need to copy/paste
  3. Instead of looping through each cell, you can consider the whole range
  4. You can debug your code (comment the Application.ScreenUpdating = False) then press F8 to see what's happening line by line
I can't see what's the purpose of your code as it just adds all the numbers greater than zero but without any descriptions, is this a practice or you need to further have some other code ?

Try the below code see if it does what you need - I have added some comments for you
VBA Code:
Sub aa()

Dim Lr As Long

'check if sheets exists clear data if doesn't create one
If Evaluate("isref(TEST!A1)") Then Sheets("TEST").UsedRange.Clear Else Sheets.Add.Name = "TEST"

With Sheets("Booking")
   Lr = .UsedRange.Rows.Count
   For x = 5 To 14 'loop from column 5 (E) to column 14 (N)
      Sheets("TEST").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(Lr) = .Cells(2, x).Resize(Lr).Value
   Next
End With

With Sheets("TEST").Columns(1)
   .Replace 0, "", lookat:=xlWhole                  'replace all 0 values with blank
   .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete 'delete all blank rows
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello acerlaptop,

I think your issue is you don't have "-" in your data but rather a "zero" formatted as "-" so your loop keeps copying the cell E2 endlessly. Few tips based on your code
  1. As a general rule in VBA, you hardly need to 'select' any cell as it just unnecessarily slows down your code
  2. You can directly assign the value of a cell/range to another without the need to copy/paste
  3. Instead of looping through each cell, you can consider the whole range
  4. You can debug your code (comment the Application.ScreenUpdating = False) then press F8 to see what's happening line by line
I can't see what's the purpose of your code as it just adds all the numbers greater than zero but without any descriptions, is this a practice or you need to further have some other code ?

Try the below code see if it does what you need - I have added some comments for you
VBA Code:
Sub aa()

Dim Lr As Long

If Evaluate("isref(TEST!A1)") Then Sheets("TEST").UsedRange.Clear Else Sheets.Add.Name = "TEST"

With Sheets("Booking")
      Sheets("TEST").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(Lr) = .Cells(2, x).Resize(Lr).Value
   Next
End With

.Replace 0, "", lookat:=xlWhole                  'replace all 0 values with blank
End With

End Sub
Actually, this is just a part of what I need to do. Starting point so to speak. Also, I don;t see the criteria part in your code. I need that for the other part of the code. That's why I had a breakdown of criteria in my code. Also, the code works perfectly but it also includes those non-zero value that the column B has no value (subtotals and grand total).

Lastly, this is just a favor, but can you recreate my code like yours, but the criteria is still present?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Oops, since I was working with a picture of your sheet I missed the blank column B criteria ? ... Try the revised below code which should exclude subtotals/grand total

VBA Code:
Sub aa()

Dim Lr As Long

With Sheets("Booking")
      a = Evaluate(Replace("if({1},if(@="""","""",offset(@,," & x - 2 & ")))", "@", "Booking!" & .Range("B2").Resize(Lr).Address))
      Sheets("TEST").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(UBound(a)) = a
   Next
End With

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back