Extract Every Other Character from Cell

Sense-A

I need a formula that extracts every other character from a cell.

For example:

112233445566 778899,, aaBBcc##

Would become:

123456 789, aBc#

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Just to be clear (maybe it doesn't matter) - are you wanting to take the characters in the ODD numbered positions, or the EVEN numbered positions ?

If I had to do this, I think what I would probably do is use Excel's Data, Text to Columns feature to break each string out into fixed width buckets, each 1 character wide in it's own column.

Then use some kind of concatenation formula to string alternate characters back together again, such as
=A1&C1&E1....

and so on.

Upvote 0
maybe with PowerQuery

Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table3"]}[Content],
    split = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(1), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Column1"),
    remdup = Table.Distinct(split),
    transpose = Table.Transpose(remdup),
    merge = Table.CombineColumns(transpose,{"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"result")
in
    merge[/SIZE]

Column1result
112233445566 778899,, aaBBcc##123456 789,aBc#

Upvote 0
If you have the CONCAT function (Excel 365, not the CONCATENATE function), then try:

=CONCAT(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&INT(LEN(A1)/2)+1))*2-1,1))

confirmed with Control+Shift+Enter. This will take the odd positions. Remove the red -1 to get the even positions. If you don't have CONCAT, you'll need either Gerald's idea, or VBA, or a lot of helper cells.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear (maybe it doesn't matter) - are you wanting to take the characters in the ODD numbered positions, or the EVEN numbered positions ?

If I had to do this, I think what I would probably do is use Excel's Data, Text to Columns feature to break each string out into fixed width buckets, each 1 character wide in it's own column.

Then use some kind of concatenation formula to string alternate characters back together again, such as
=A1&C1&E1....

and so on.

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

I'm unfamiliar with powerquery, and my Office 2016 professional doesn't have concat or textjoin or other related formulas, so I went with Gerald's method with a few modifications.

Data is in cell A1.

I entered 1 3 5 7 9 in columns A B C D E and stretched them to the far right of the workbook.

Directly underneath, I entered Mid($A$1,B1,1) and stretched it across the workbook.
This gets the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc characters into their own columns

Oddly, concatenate would not work with the large array, so I used VBA to combine all the many columns and dump them into a single, designated cell below.

Sub combineText()

Dim rng As Range
Dim i As String

For Each rng In Selection

i = i & rng

Next rng

Range("A15").Value = Trim(i)

End Sub

I highlighted A3 to ZZZ3 and ran the vba code and got my answer in cell A15

This was a multi-step solution and not as simple as a single formula. But it works for my one-time use purpose. Thank you to everyone who helped!

Upvote 0
Another slightly simpler option
Code:
Function SenseA(Cl As Range) As String
   Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To Len(Cl) Step 2
      SenseA = SenseA & Cl.Characters(i, 1).Text
   Next i
End Function
Used in the sheet like
=SenseA(A2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back