Extract from Cell with less helper columns...

How_Do_I

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello are there any alternatives to my helper, helper, helper columns please...!

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1x;;;;;;;;xx;SITE NAME: XI/A/58;xxxxxxxxxxx133118117XI/A/58
2x;SITE NAME: XI/A/15A;xxxxxxxxxxx32219118XI/A/15A
3xxxxxxxx;SITE NAME: XI/A/5;xxxxxxxxxxx102717116XI/A/5
4xxxx;SITE NAME: XI/A/115A;xxxxxxxxxxx62620119XI/A/115A
5xxxx;SITE NAME: XI/A/115;xxxxxxxxxxx62519118XI/A/115
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Sorry,

=IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND("SITE NAME:",A1)+11,F1),"")

is my latest G1...

Upvote 0
Just combine them all into one (no helper columns required):

=IFERROR(MID(A1,FIND("SITE NAME:",A1)+11,FIND(";",A1,FIND("SITE NAME:",A1))-FIND("SITE NAME:",A1)-11),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks AliGW... I had just done that and thought "What a mess..." but it gives me what is required without multiple helper columns...

Upvote 0
Well, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs ... ;)

There may be a smarter way, but it does what you want, so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Upvote 0
An alternative :-
Code:
=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A31,"SITE NAME:",REPT(" ",LEN(A31))),LEN(A31))),";",REPT(" ",LEN(A31))),LEN(A31)))
without relying on the length of a constituent part.

hth

Upvote 0
Thanks for your solution Mike... I see that normal service has been resumed at the Bridge and indeed at other venues, I'm declaring the Blues as serious title contenders... Jose who...?

Upvote 0
If there are never any semi-colons among all those X's, and assuming your overall text is never longer than 300 characters, then here is another alternative you can consider...

=MID(TRIM(LEFT(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,";",REPT(" ",300)),600),300)),12,99)

Upvote 0
Thanks Rick, it is downloaded data from the Internet and there are semi-colons before the one I'm interested in and some of the cells do contain more than 300 characters... That said, the data I want is always between "SITE NAME:" and the second semi-colon...

Upvote 0
Thanks Rick, it is downloaded data from the Internet and there are semi-colons before the one I'm interested in and some of the cells do contain more than 300 characters... That said, the data I want is always between "SITE NAME:" and the second semi-colon...
The second semi-colon? From the left side? That is not what you showed us in your examples in your original message. Please verify... is it always the second semi-colon from the left?

What about the my assumption.. I know there is always one, but will there ever be two semi-colons after the text you want to retrieve? In other words, will there ever be a semi-colon with the text you show as "xxx.."?

Can you give us an idea about how much bigger than 300 characters there can be in a cell?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back