Extract month from text and include condition to get updated months

Bigbanana

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear All,

I have a file where I need to extract the month from Column Y's text, which I have used Column AC for that.
If the date in AC is on or before 15, the expected month of revenue = AC + 2 months. If false, = AC + 3 months. I have a Column AD for the results.
If Column Y does not contain any date, the results should appear as TBC.

This works fine, but I need 2 columns (AC and AD) for that.

I wish to combine it into a single column AC, but could not get the formula right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Excel Help.PNG
    Excel Help.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 15

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

Is the date always on the right? If so, try:

Book1
YAC
1AFS (Non-Binding)/F
2Existing stock depletedTBC
3AFS 2/3/20214/3/2021
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
AC2:AC3AC2=IFERROR(EDATE(AGGREGATE(14,6,RIGHT(Y2,{8,9,10})+0,1),2+(DAY(AGGREGATE(14,6,RIGHT(Y2,{8,9,10})+0,1))>=15)),"TBC")

Also, please check out the XL2BB tool to show a sample of your sheet. I just used it, and it makes it much easier to work with your sample data. You can check the link in my signature, or in the reply box.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

As well as using XL2BB as suggested by Eric, providing a slightly larger data sample and expected results would help so that we can assess any variety in your data.

So, like Eric, assuming any data is on the right, IF you have the LET function in your 365 version, you could also try this

20 12 29.xlsm
YZAAABAC
1AFS (Non-Binding)/F
3AFS 2/3/20212/05/21
4AFS 22/3/202122/06/21
Check Month
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
AC2:AC4AC2=LET(dte,TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(Y2," ",REPT(" ",10)),10))+0,IFERROR(EDATE(dte,2+(DAY(dte)>15)),"TBC"))

Upvote 0
The date in Y column was in DDMMYYYY format. I've tried the formula:
=IFERROR(EDATE(AGGREGATE(14,6,RIGHT(Y2,{8,9,10})+0,1),2+(DAY(AGGREGATE(14,6,RIGHT(Y2,{8,9,10})+0,1))>=15)),"TBC")

and the result was Apr'2021 instead of May'2021.

Pls advise what went wrong?

Attachments

• Excel Help1.PNG
    Excel Help1.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Hard to work out what is wrong from looking at a picture.
Eric's formula works for me.
Did you try the other suggested formula?

Try taking a fresh worksheet, click this icon
1609242146978.png

on Eric's or my mini-sheets and paste into cell Y1 on your fresh sheet and see what happens.

If still a problem, can you give us a 5-10 rows of sample data with XL2BB so that we can be sure we are testing with the same data that you have?

Upvote 0
The date in Y column was in DDMMYYYY format. I've tried the formula:
=IFERROR(EDATE(AGGREGATE(14,6,RIGHT(Y2,{8,9,10})+0,1),2+(DAY(AGGREGATE(14,6,RIGHT(Y2,{8,9,10})+0,1))>=15)),"TBC")

and the result was Apr'2021 instead of May'2021.

I figured out that the date in column Y was in DD/MM/YYYY format from your formulas. However, it's a date embedded in a text value. Both my formula and Peter's extracts the text date, and use Excel to convert it to a numerical date value, by adding 0. However, when Excel converts the date, it uses the Regional Settings from the Windows Control Panel. What do you have the date format set as there? Make sure that it's set to DD/MM/YYYY. If you want to keep the regional settings as is, then we'd need to extract each part of the date like you did, which would make for a much longer formula. Peter could probably do better using LET.

Upvote 0
If Eric is right about the Regional settings issue then this could be tried (though as yet we don't know if the OP has the LET function :()

20 12 29.xlsm
YZAAABAC
1AFS (Non-Binding)/F
3AFS 2/3/202102-May-2021
4AFS 22/3/202122-June-2021
Check Month
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
AC2:AC4AC2=LET(ex,RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(Y2,"/"," ")," ",REPT(" ",10)),30),dte,DATE(RIGHT(ex,10),MID(ex,10,10),LEFT(ex,10)),IFERROR(EDATE(dte,2+(DAY(dte)>15)),"TBC"))

Upvote 0
Thanks both. Indeed, it is the regional date setting that is messing things up. Once I change the regional date setting to DDMMYY, it works fine.

My next question is that I cannot control users' regional date setting. I think the safer bet will be to revise the formula to a longer one?

Hope you can advise!

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I tried this, =LET(ex,RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(Y2,"/"," ")," ",REPT(" ",10)),30),dte,DATE(RIGHT(ex,10),MID(ex,10,10),LEFT(ex,10)),IFERROR(EDATE(dte,2+(DAY(dte)>15)),"TBC"))

Did not work :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back