Extract Month Name from Cell

brncao

Board Regular
Hey guys. I was wondering if there's a way to extract the name of the month from a cell. I'd like to figure out the two formulas, one with just the month name, and the other with the month and year.

For example,
Input: "Payment received as of January 31, 2020"
Output: Jan/January
Output: Jan/January 2020

Thanks

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Will the date always appear at the end of the input, in that particular format?
If not, please post examples of all the other differing formats that it could appear in.

Upvote 0
Here is one way. Let's say that you entry is in cell A1, and you want the two outputs in cells A2 and A3.
Enter this formula in cell A2:
=LEFT(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",100)),400,100)),3)&"/"&TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",100)),400,100))
and then this formula in cell A3:
=A2&" "&RIGHT(A1,4)

Upvote 0
Here's another approach:

Book1
ABC
1Payment received as of January 31, 2020JanuaryJanuary 2020
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=TEXT(AGGREGATE(14,6,MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),18)+0,1),"mmmm")
C1C1=TEXT(AGGREGATE(14,6,MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),18)+0,1),"mmmm yyyy")

But like Dante suggests, it might be susceptible to different text, especially if there's a large embedded number in the text, like an account number. Test it on a large sample of your data.

Upvote 0
Wow I didn't think it would be that complex! I'll have a look at it tomorrow. The goal is to extract a date serial from that input. I can figure out the rest.

Just to give you guys better context, the user changes the report's as of date to whatever date it's reporting for. So you might have something like "Report as of mmmm d, yyyy" where the first couple characters to the left of the date never changes. Only "mmmm d, yyyy" changes.

Before anyone asks this question, "why not just create a separate cell with a date and concatenate that?" Unfortunately that would force the user to unhide and hide this row or column, which is not practical. I don't want anything hidden from the user especially if other cells are dependent on it.

When the user changes that input, everything else in the report will update. Whether it's "mmmm" or "mmm yyyy" or "mmmm yyyy" so long as I have the date serial. This avoids redundant entries where a user might forget to change "Dec 2019" to "Jan 2020" in other parts of the workbook.

Trying to extract the date serial from a sentence is where the challenge is. I hope that helps.

Upvote 0
For cell A2 string, use below formula:

=MID(A2,AGGREGATE(14,6,SEARCH(TEXT(ROW($1:$12)*29,"mmmm"),A2),1),255)

This will return "January 31, 2020". TEXT(ROW($1:$12)*29,"mmmm") - returns all the 12 months ie. {"January";"February";"March";"April";"May";"June";"July";"August";"September";"October";"November";"December"}. The formula searches for occurrence of these in the cell A2 string and returns all characters after that.

Upvote 0
Thank you all!

Amit's solution is flexible. However, Eric's solution is even more flexible and #Ref!-error-proof (in case a row got deleted, but Amit's solution can be rectified with INDIRECT function inside ROW). What I like about Eric's solution is that it accepts "mmm*" so it'll take "Sep", "Sept", and "September."

One more question. Is there a way to check if input is valid? "Septmber 30, 2020" returns 7/12/1905.

Upvote 0
That's why I warned against checking against a large sample of your data. There's really no way to handle every situation that might arise. The best I came up with (making an already awkward formula even more so) is:

Book4
ABC
1Payment received as of Septmber 30, 2020No valid date foundNo valid date found
2Payment received as of September 30, 2020SeptemberSeptember 2020
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B2B1=IFERROR(TEXT(EXP(LN(AGGREGATE(14,6,MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),18)+0,1)-"12/31/1999"))+"12/31/1999","mmmm"),"No valid date found")
C1:C2C1=IFERROR(TEXT(EXP(LN(AGGREGATE(14,6,MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),18)+0,1)-"12/31/1999"))+"12/31/1999","mmmm yyyy"),"No valid date found")

In your example, the largest number the formula extracted was 2020, which translated to a date serial number of 7/12/1905. In this version of the formula, it will reject any number less than 12/31/1999 (36525).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back