Extract (not delete) double entries of two columns combined

Hermann3

Hello again,

I'll try to explain what I want:
I have a list of participants of trainings.
Column F has the last names
Column G has the first names

Now I have many trainings and some participants attend more than one training. So, I want to "extract" the first and last names of people to a separate sheet without getting the duplicates (where first AND last name is the same). All this so I can make a gender analysis that's not skewed.

Any ideas?

Hermann

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
If you are using Excel 2007 or higher

Copy (Ctrl+C) the data in columns F and G
Paste(Ctrl+V) on a new sheet
Select the data on the new sheet and Data > Remove duplicates

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks Marcelo,

I would like to have this automatically, i.e. as soon as I fill in new entries for a training, I want them automatically copied to the other sheet, however, without duplicates. Possible?

Upvote 0
Here's why this doesn't work.
If I take out only the two columns, I can't make a Pivot Table according to sex.
If I keep the column with sex (M,F), then deleting duplicates doesn't have an effect on my pivot table. The problem is that excel deletes the duplicates, but only in the two columns. It would have to delete the entire row, though.

I can't mark the entire row, however, because that would eliminate ALL duplicates (and, of course, there are many, because participants are either male or female).

Upvote 0
The other problem is that excels removes duplicates independently, i.e. if I have the following list
Miller ------- John
Jackson ------ John
Miller ------- Daniel
Smith -------- Sarah
Jackson ------ Sarah
Miller --------- John

it will actually delete all entries, while there is only one duplicate (John Miller).

Upvote 0
Could you post a data sample, say 10 rows including headers, and expected results?

M.

Upvote 0
I made a test using your data sample in #5 , selecting both columns, Excel has deleted just one row.
Miller --- John

M.

Upvote 0
<table width="349" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 71pt;" width="95"> <col style="width: 75pt;" width="100"> <col style="width: 68pt;" width="90"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 71pt;" width="95" height="20">Training ID</td> <td style="width: 75pt;" width="100">Last Name</td> <td style="width: 68pt;" width="90">First Name</td> <td style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Sex</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_A</td> <td>Miller</td> <td>Johnny</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_A</td> <td>Bayron</td> <td>Josephine
</td> <td>F</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_A</td> <td>Jackson</td> <td>Reynaldo</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_A</td> <td>Fuentebella</td> <td>Eduardo G</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_A</td> <td>Pebbles</td> <td>Rosie P</td> <td>F</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_B</td> <td>Smith</td> <td>Jack</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_B</td> <td>Manning</td> <td>Robert</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_B</td> <td>Pebbles
</td> <td>Rosie P
</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_B</td> <td>Shaw</td> <td>Sonia</td> <td>F</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_C</td> <td>Jackson</td> <td>Lea B</td> <td>F</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_C</td> <td>Escobar</td> <td>Henry</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_C</td> <td>Miller</td> <td>Natalia M</td> <td>F</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">RBM_C</td> <td>Samson</td> <td>Josephine</td> <td>F</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
This would be the sample data. I want excel to clear all rows that have duplicates names of participants (in this case only row 8 with Rosie P Pebbles, but not Natalia M Miller nor Josephine Samson).

Obrigado.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back