Extract number before specific text

jondesta

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
How would I pull ".041 ACRES" and "2.0 ACRES" out of the same column from both strings shown below? As you can see ACRES is in there twice but in some strings the first ACRES does not exist. I have been trying to find how to pull the number before ACRES and ACRES but cannot figure it out. The second string shows what some of the other cells have, if all were like that it would be easy. They all follow the same format of <# ACRES> in all strings so trying to pull the word ACRES and the number that precedes it.

Any help would be appreciated, been doing it the hard way by changing first instance of ACRES to a different word then key on ACRES and remove all text after, then grab everything after last "," or ")". You can see the issues with that and it is very time consuming.

BLK JG K-7 WOODGLEN ACRES S13 (A125) .041 ACRES (SADDLE PATH EAST OF LT 809)

ASG A376 MCGAHN, TREY A,TRACT 3-4, 2.0 ACRES

Jon

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I don't think that there is such thing as an easy way to do what you need, I came up with this but it's a bit clumsy.
Book1
AB
2BLK JG K-7 WOODGLEN ACRES S13 (A125) .041 ACRES (SADDLE PATH EAST OF LT 809).041 ACRES
3ASG A376 MCGAHN, TREY A,TRACT 3-4, 2.0 ACRES2.0 ACRES
Sheet7
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B3B2=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A2))),AGGREGATE(15,6,SEARCH(ROW($1:$9)-1&REPT(" ",LEN(A2))&"ACRES",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A2)))),1)-LEN(A2),3*LEN(A2)))

Upvote 0
Assuming you text is never longer than 300 characters, here is another formula that you can try...

=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(LEFT(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"ACRES",REPT(" ",300)),600),300))," ",REPT(" ",300)),300))&" ACRES"

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you both! Looking at these I would not have come up with the solution. Both work and do exactly what I need and more importantly saves sooo much time and possibility for errors. I have read these forums many times always finding what I needed, but this I couldn't find and was my first post. This site never disappoints, thank you both again.

Jon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back