Extract string in between space and character

tatooedsn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All. I'm trying to extract a number of minutes in a string. So for example if I have a comment in a cell that says "washed dirty clothes and it took 45 mins". I just want to extract the 45 to another column by searching by "mins". I'm trying to avoid using text to columns to do this. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

I'll give it a shot when I get a moment :) Is the filterxml command just for it to show up on the message board?
It works great until someone forgets to put the min or a space between the word before the digit. I can live with this.. tyty.
desiccant jam L1jam
pnp servo fault on hmion

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi,

You can also try this:

Book3.xlsx
AB
2mod4 STA10 rollers cleaned at shift change 10mins10
3mod1 STAdesiccant/ na/ Abox 3 kept coming up with desiccant errors, cleaned blade/ 5mins5
4mod20 STA2 cleaned rollers duting foil change 15mins15
5Desiccant Feeder #1 / NA / Feeder was giving chute jam errors with no jam present. when reviewing further the blade was hanging up. removed the blade assembly and did not see any abnormal ware on the blade . cleaned the blade and reassembled. worked with Ron C. / 30min30
6sta100 card jam on lane 2, caused about half of the flights on top to come out of place. had to reinsert and check for correct orientation 120mins120
7mod50 STAdesiccant box 3 keeps saying piece too long, even after new dessiccant rolls have been added. cleaned rollers feeding into knife/ 5mins5
8mod120 abox 3 had cutter replaced. 25 min25
9desiccant jam L1 
10pnp servo fault on hmi 
Sheet808
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B10B2=IFERROR(LEFT(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"min"," min"))," ",REPT(" ",100)),200),100)+0,"")

Upvote 0
You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.

Curious, see my Post #13, A9, do you want the number 1 returned as result even if there's no "min" or "mins" behind?

Upvote 0
Solution
You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.

Curious, see my Post #13, A9, do you want the number 1 returned as result even if there's no "min" or "mins" behind?
I'd rather have it blank, so it works out.

Upvote 0
Ok, great, thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back