Extract text between multiple square brackets into specific cells

TangySauce

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Hello everyone,

I hope some experts here could help me with either a formula or script for the following.

The data will exist in a single cell with square bracket delimiters([ ]). My goal is to scan the data and if the text contains a certain phrase, that data is than extracted to a specific cell within the same sheet.

I tried a few variations with IF conditions, ISNumber, MID, SEARCH, FIND, LEFT, RIGHT, etc... but can't quite get the extracts. Its been fun for the past 3 days playing with formulas, but I am at a point where I need help.

Below is a sample of the data:
1616724308992.png

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi,

This seems to do what you described.

Please, for future reference, check my signature regarding uploading sample via XL2BB, Thank you.

Book3.xlsx
ABCDEF
1ABCFGHLMNXYZ123
2[ABC];[FGH:blah];[XYZ:<blah]ABCFGH:blah XYZ:<blah 
3[XYZ];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]ABC:WhoThis LMNOXYZ123:CowMoo
Sheet869
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:F3B2=IFERROR(TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(MID($A2,SEARCH(B$1,$A2),100),"]",REPT(" ",100)),100)),"")

Upvote 0
This seems to do what you described.
It may be what the OP wants but I suspect if it is possible to have data like in A4 below then it might not be what is wanted. This would be my alternative.

21 03 26.xlsm
ABCDEF
1ABCFGHLMNXYZ123
4[XYZ: abcan];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]ABC:WhoThis LMNOXYZ: abcan123:CowMoo
Sheet2 (2)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:F4B2=IFERROR(REPLACE(LEFT($A2,FIND("]",$A2,SEARCH("["&B$1,$A2))-1),1,SEARCH("["&B$1,$A2),""),"")

Upvote 0
If that might happen, this small adjustment to my formula in Post #2 will fix it:

Book3.xlsx
ABCDEF
1ABCFGHLMNXYZ123
4[XYZ: abcan];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]ABC:WhoThis LMNOXYZ: abcan123:CowMoo
5[XYZ: ABCan];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]ABC:WhoThis LMNOXYZ: ABCan123:CowMoo
Sheet869
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:F5B2=IFERROR(TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(MID($A2,FIND("["&B$1,$A2)+1,100),"]",REPT(" ",100)),100)),"")

Upvote 0
Wow! Thank you to both of you are giving a few options to try. Of course both options worked flawless and meets what we are trying to, planning to test against 2k list.
Still working on the @jtakw formula for understanding.

I did a modification to remove the 'search term' from the results. Probably a crude way to do it but it works.

=IFERROR(REPLACE(LEFT($A3,FIND("]",$A3,SEARCH("["&B$1,$A3))-1),1,(SEARCH("["&B$1,$A3)+(LEN(B$1)+1)),""),"")

Upvote 0
Based on the modification you made to @Peter_SSs formula, it seems you Actually Don't want the B1:F1 Headers included in the results, contradictory to your sample in OP.

If that's what you actually want, here's my modified formula, if my assumption here is incorrect, just use my formula in Post # 4.

Book3.xlsx
ABCDEF
1ABCFGHLMNXYZ123
2[ABC];[FGH:blah];[XYZ:<blah] blah <blah 
3[XYZ];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]WhoThis   CowMoo
4[XYZ: abcan];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]WhoThis  abcanCowMoo
5[XYZ: ABCan];[ABC:WhoThis];[123:CowMoo];[LMNO]WhoThis  ABCanCowMoo
Sheet869
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:F5B2=IFERROR(TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(MID($A2,FIND(B$1&":",$A2)+LEN(B$1)+1,100),"]",REPT(" ",100)),100)),"")

Upvote 0
I did a modification to remove the 'search term' from the results. Probably a crude way to do it but it works.
That's the idea, but it looks like all of your terms appear to have a space after the colon if there is extra text. If that is so, make it a "+2" instead, otherwise we could add a TRIM() function in a similar way that jtakw did.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back