Extract & Transpose problem

kcmuppet

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I've got a large table of school pupil data (tbl_Pupils) which includes a Pupil ID (text string) and Class name (also text).

On a new sheet I'd like to use a formula to a list Pupil IDs in row 2 from the table based on a class name entered into cell A1. The number of pupils in each class varies.

I've been trying to make use of the formula below to extract the list of pupil IDs in a helper column and then use a transpose formula to copy it to a row:

=INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID],MATCH(A1,tbl_Pupils[Class],0),1):INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID],MATCH(A1,tbl_Pupils[Class],1),1)

...but although the above formula works for a data-validation drop-down list I can't get it to generate a helper list.

...Could anybody point out what I'm doing wrong or suggest an alternative approach.

Many thanks

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I found an an example here of another way of doing it,
IF(COUNTIF($A:$A,$D$2) < COLUMNS($G$2:G2),"", INDEX($B:$B, SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$10=$D$2, ROW($A$2:$A$10)), COLUMNS($G$2:G2)))) Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Then copy across

but I'm having trouble making it work with structured references for an excel table.

My Table tbl_Pupils looks like this:

Class Pupil ID
Class 1 Pupil001
Class 1 Pupil002
Class 4 Pupil003
Class 4 Pupil004
Class 1 Pupil005
Class 3 Pupil006
Class 3 Pupil007

So if "Class 1 is in D2, I'd want the list to be Pupil001, Pupil002, Pupil005

The formula in the example works - i.e. puts these values in cellls G2:G5, but when I tried to replace the fixed ranges with structured references I got stuck:

=IF(COUNTIF(tbl_Pupils[Class],$D$2) < COLUMNS($G$2:G2),"", INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID], SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$10=$D$2, ROW($A$2:$A$10)), COLUMNS($G$2:G2))))

Would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks

Upvote 0
In few seconds, a pivotal table can give you something like the following. Is that acceptable? Or you must use a formula to do it?

Class 1
Pupil001
Pupil002
Pupil005
Class 3
Pupil006
Pupil007
Class 4
Pupil003
Pupil004

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your reply - I'm looking to make a formula work, so that I don't have to refresh it.

As it stands I'm using:

{=(INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID],MATCH(Class_Taught,tbl_Pupils[Class],0),1):INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID],MATCH(Class_Taught,tbl_Pupils[Class],1),1)}

applied to a of 1 column and 40 rows named Pupils_in_Class_Taught and then this:

{=IFNA(INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID],MATCH(Class_Taught,tbl_Pupils[Class],0),1):INDEX(tbl_Pupils[Pupil ID],MATCH(Class_Taught,tbl_Pupils[Class],1),1),"")}

applied to the target range of 1 row x 40 columns

I'm thinking there must be better way, where 'better' = one step rather than two, and accomodates a variable number of pupils in the class (so that I don't need to have to guess that 40 might be the maximum number of pupils in a class, deal with #N/A, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back