Extracting 4 digit number from combobox, looking that up in a worksheet column, and then copying 3 columns from the corresponding row to new page.

bensdb

I have a combobox called 'cmbkids' on a form named 'Hideform'. On the press of a button I want to search for a 4 digit number within the string that is currently selected in the combobox. The string might look something like this 'Adam,Cordliffe - 1301 - Round 2', but might also sometimes look like this '1301 - Adam,Cordliffe - Round 2' so the position of the 4 digit number is not fixed.

Once it has found the 4 digit number I need to then lookup that number in column A of worksheet 'KidsDB', and then copy columns A to C of that row and paste to the next available row in another worksheet named 'Register'.

I'm really stuck at this point in my project and any help would be appreciated.

Even if you only have part of the solution please point me in the right direction.

Thanks Guys!!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
{=1*MID(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1)),0),COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1)))} CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER this a found on another site for stripping the numbers out of a text string. hope this points you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Thanks but I'm not sure it will in my case because I have two sets of numbers. I need to get just the 4 digit number!

Upvote 0
MsgBox "Number found = " & Application.Evaluate("MATCH(1,--ISNUMBER(FIND(ROW(1000:9999),""" & cmbkids.Value & """)),0)+999")

Right I've now got this bit of cod which extracts a 4 digit number. Now I just need to figure out how to look up that variable in column a of my worksheet, and i think I can figure out the rest myself . vba doesn't have a 'lookup' function does it? What's is equivalent?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back