Extracting a date from a cell which has a particular value

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMIT2179

I have 3 cells in excel in same column. One has value "Dec, 2014", second one has value "NA_Dec'14" and the third one has value "NA_". As you can see 3 cells have 3 different values. I am looking to extract a date either first day of the month or last day of the month from the second cell which has value "NA_Dec'14". So the output should look like either 12/01/14 or 12/31/14 or anyday of the Dec 14. Please can you help.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Ohh OK. I may have miscalculated. :eek:

Can you also help me with one more solution.

I have below table with columns A to E and Result in column F. I am looking for a formulae in Column F which gives me a result in case it finds a string in any of the cells of a particular row except #NA .
ABCDEResult
#N/A#N/ASydney#N/A#N/ASydney
Paramatta#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/AParamatta
#N/A#N/A#N/AHarris Park#N/AHarris Park

<colgroup><col width="64" span="6" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
try this

<b>Lookup</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:8pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:79px;" /><col style="width:48px;" /><col style="width:63px;" /><col style="width:84px;" /><col style="width:48px;" /><col style="width:84px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Sydney</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Sydney</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Paramatta</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Paramatta</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Harris Park</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">#N/A</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Harris Park</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >F1</td><td >=LOOKUP("ZZZ",A1:E1)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Wow. You make it look so simple and i keep on adding the complexities. :):p How can we get all values where there are more than 1? Like in below example.

ABCDEResult
#N/A#N/ASydney#N/A#N/ASydney
Sydney#N/AParamatta#N/A#N/AParamatta
#N/AWestmead#N/ASydney#N/ASydney

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Perhaps you had better explain again as the formula I posted already gives the results you have shown in post 26.

What version of Excel are you using?
How many columns do you really have?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually i am working on the data and extraction values by applying v lookup in various files. So for eg: Column A has names against which i want to find their grades. These names are in various files (but not all names in all files). So i put a vlookup in column B using file 1. I get some data in column B from file 1. Now i use file 2 and get the results in column c. Similarly using File 3 and getting results in Column D. So i have data (in B1, C1, D1, E1 etc) against name in A1. Similarly for A2, A3 etc. Now one name might have more than one data like in Row 2 below where we have 2 data 1B and 2A. It might have 3 data as well depending on how many files i have used to extract grades. So i am looking for a result in last column which gives me all the data (from column B - Column E or Column G) against value in column A.
NamesGrades - File 1Grades - File 2Grades - File 3Grades - File 4Result
Ayesha#N/A6F#N/A#N/A6F
Matt1B#N/A#N/A2A1B, 2A
David2A#N/A3C#N/A2A, 3C

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, that's clearer about what you want, but not clearer on the answers to my other 2 questions. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back