Extracting data from a pivot table in another tab

ashleynh2011

Hi there, I've been searching through posts, but I haven't been able to find out whether you can use the GETPIVOTDATA function in one tab while the pivot table is in another tab. Here's what I'm trying to do:
  • I have a list of IDs in Tab1 and in Tab2 I have a pivot table counting the number of times those IDs appear in a data data.
  • the IDs in the pivot table are in rows and the values are simply a count of those IDs
  • In Tab1, I have a table with a number of data points in columns for each of those employee IDs in rows
  • I want one of those columns to be the count by ID from the pivot table in Tab2, but based on the ID in column 1 in Tab1
I don't know if you can you vlookup, but that's essentially what I want to do - vlookup based on the ID# in Tab1 and return the count from the pivot table in Tab2. Can this be done because I can't seem to get it to work??

Here's the formula in Tab1 that's returning "#REF!" : GETPIVOTDATA("Employee ID",'Tab2'!$A$7,"Employee ID",'Tab1'!B3)

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
A couple of pictures or a sample would help here. It sounds like you may want to look into COUNTIF

Upvote 0
Sorry, it's difficult to show screenshots with confidential data. The screenshot are dummy data. Does this help?

This is sheet1:
1596671113444.png

This is sheet2:
1596670557729.png

Upvote 0
Dummy data is always fine. Looks like =VLOOKUP(B3,'Sheet2'!A:B,2,0) assuming you want a 1 where the error is.

Upvote 0
So i'm guessing

=B3='Sheet2'!A8 is returning FALSE?

Try =NUMBERVALUE() on both cells.What is the result?

Upvote 0
Nothing to do with sorting, what did NUMBERVALUE return? I'm assuming one is a Value and one a String. That or there could be other issues.

Chances are one of these should work.

=VLOOKUP(NUMBERVALUE(B3),'Sheet2'!A:B,2,0)
=VLOOKUP(TEXT(B3,"####"),'Sheet2'!A:B,2,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back