Extracting numbers and text

tkroper

Hi friends!

I need help extracting numbers from text. In column A, I have a list containing entries like this:
0005 Nurseries — propagation and cultivation of nursery stock
0016 Orchards — citrus and deciduous fruits
0034(1) Poultry Raising
0034(2) Sheep Raising and Hog Farms
0035 Florists — cultivating or gardening
The list goes on for about 800 rows.

In column J, I have this forumula:
Code:
{=LEFT(A1,MATCH(2,1/ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(A2:A100)-ROW(A1),1)*1)))}

It works great, except the result includes the left parenthesis: for example, J3 = "0034(1". Is there a way to obtain just the numeric value ("00341")?

Also, is there another formula I can use in column K that will do the opposite and extract only the text? For example: K1 = "Nurseries — propagation and cultivation of nursery stock" and K3 = "Poultry Raising".

Thank you very much for your help!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
If the left parentheses is the only character, then:
{=SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,MATCH(2,1/ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(A2:A100)-ROW(A1),1)*1))),"(","")}
(confirmed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

Upvote 0
For column K to return the text only try
=(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)))
Works with your sample range

Upvote 0
If the left parentheses is the only character, then:
{=SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,MATCH(2,1/ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(A2:A100)-ROW(A1),1)*1))),"(","")}
(confirmed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

Sal - this works perfectly - except if the entry in column A includes two or more characters:

If column A contains: "5186 Automatic Sprinkler Installation — within buildings — equals or exceeds $27.00", the formula returns: "5186 Automatic Sprinkler Installation — within buildings — equals or exceeds $27.00"

If column A contains: "5187(1) Plumbing — equals or exceeds $24.00", the formula returns: "51871) Plumbing — equals or exceeds $24.00"

In the first example, column A contains two dashes and a dollar sign; in the second example, column A contains a dash and a dollar sign.

Is there a way to fix that?

I sure appreciate your help on this Sal - it's a huge timesaver!

Upvote 0
Todd,

This quick change to Sal's formula seems to work, although it could still bug out on other entries if the numeric code is more than 10 characters including "("

{=SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,MATCH(2,1/ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(A2:A11)-ROW(A1),1)*1))),"(","")}

Entered with CSE as before

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
What about avoiding the array formulas for the first part? Does this do the column J job for you?
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1),"(",""),")","")

Also, a marginally simpler column K formula for you to try:
=REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1),"")

Upvote 0
Todd,

This quick change to Sal's formula seems to work, although it could still bug out on other entries if the numeric code is more than 10 characters including "("

{=SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,MATCH(2,1/ISNUMBER(MID(A1,ROW(A2:A11)-ROW(A1),1)*1))),"(","")}

Entered with CSE as before

Hope this helps

Works perfectly! Thank you very much jasonb75

Upvote 0
What about avoiding the array formulas for the first part? Does this do the column J job for you?
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1),"(",""),")","")

Also, a marginally simpler column K formula for you to try:
=REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1),"")

Peter - thank you very much! Both work perfectly. Your advice is always a tremendous help.

Thank you all for helping me on this :)

Upvote 0
Well, I hope someone can explain this to me...

I needed these formulas because each year the list of codes and their corresponding phraseologies will change somewhat and it is issued on a PDF file. I highlight the list and paste it into an Excel sheet. Then on another sheet in the same workbook I have this formula:
Code:
=IF(ISTEXT(A$9),VLOOKUP(A$7,Codes!$B$3:$C$720,2,0),"")
When I enter the code I want in A7 and enter data in A9, it will return the corresponding phraseology from the list in cell A13. I have sorted my list in descending numerical order, but my formula returns "#VALUE!".

If I manually enter any of the codes on the list my formula will work for those codes, but not for codes I have simply pasted into the list. I don't understand - they're all formatted as General.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thank you again for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back