Extracting numbers from text and then adding together

Rich N

Hi,
Sorry for posting what seems like such a ridiculously simple query, but despite spending several hours poring through old MrExcel message boards I'm afraid I still need help.

I am using Excel to collate the averages for my cricket team. All the players are listed in column A, followed by their scores for each individual game throughout the year and ending with a total runs column for the season.

My problem arises when I have to give an indication that a player scored runs but was "not out", which impacts on the overall averages because a player who is not out is credited with the runs scored but not charged with an innings. So a player who made 15 not out is credited with "15no" in my workbook.

As a simple example: Player's name (Barry Smith) appears in A1, then his five scores: 23, 15no, 35, 125no, 2 in cells A2:A6. SUM($A2:$A6) entered in A7 ignores the cells that also include text (the "nos") and gives me a total of 60. Is there a formula I can enter in A7 to disregard the "nos" and just read the digits in those cells to come up with the grand total of 200? The run totals can be 1, 2 or 3 digits and I can split the "no" from the number (i.e. "15 no" instead of "15no") if this makes things easier.

Many thanks.
Richard Neale.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
=SUM(IF(RIGHT($A$2:$A$6,2)="no",--(LEFT($A$2:$A$6,LEN($A$2:$A$6)-2)),$A$2:$A$6))

Confirmed w/ Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Upvote 0
I think you will have to add a collumn to remove the no from the cells...

if your numbers are in a2:a6
then collumn b2:b6 should contain this formula

=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-2)
=LEFT(A3,LEN(A3)-2)
etc...

and do the sum for collumn B
=sum(B2:B7)

Upvote 0
Rich N

Welcome to the Mr Excel board!

Your post was a little confusing about layout but see if this helps.

Formula in G2 (copied down):
=SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBSTITUTE("0"&B2:F2,"no","")))
Formula in H2 (copied down):
=IF(COUNT(B2:F2)=0,"-",G2/COUNTIF(B2:F2,">=0"))
Mr Excel.xls
ABCDEFGHI
1PlayerGame 1Game 2Game 3Game 4Game 5TotalAverage
2Tom2315no35125no220066.66666667
3Tim12450987414.8
4Ted15no12no0no27-
5Todd000no0000
6Trev13518no1516884
Cricket Averages

Upvote 0
Hi guys, thank you for your swift responses.

ExcelChampion, you are a star. You've sorted in minutes what has been baffling me for days!

I will be supporting the Tigers in tonight's World Series as a thank you.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
I believe the OP said his set up was this:-
Book1
ABCD
1BarrySmith
315no
5125no
Sheet2

If that is the case, then my formula will do exactly what he asked.

Edit: Great! You got it working! GO TIGERS!!! :p

Upvote 0
ExcelChamp,

when I put your formula in my sheet, it returns #VALUE!

But when I bring up the function wizard with your formula in it, it calculates and works.

Something wrong?
Using Excel 2002 and XP SP2

Upvote 0
When you Enter the formula, don't just hit Enter...hold down your Ctrl and Shift keys and then press Enter.

HTH! :)

Upvote 0
I believe the OP said his set up was this:-
If that is the case, then my formula will do exactly what he asked.
1. The OP also said "All the players are listed in column A, followed by their scores for each individual game throughout the year and ending with a total runs column" which to me suggested a layout more like what I posted because it did have a total runs column. However, only the OP can ultimately decide what layout they have and what suggestions they wish to adopt.

2. Your formula certainly does what you suggested and I certainly did not challenge that. I was merely suggesting an alternative that requires less function calls, is shorter to enter, does not require the Ctrl+Shift+Enter that puts some users off and makes use of the SUMPRODUCT function that I understand is generally slightly faster than an equivalent array formula.

3. I also addressed the 'averages' issue that was not specifically asked but alluded to in the OP's third paragraph.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back