Extracting only numbers in string, on right of dash

judwall

I am working with model numbers similar to this: ESLC148-12T

What formula can I use to extract just the numbers (in this case,"12") from the right of the dash?

I am using =REPLACE(W4,1,FIND("-",W4),"") to show me everything after the dash but I can't find how to go from there.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
This works...
=LOOKUP(99^99,--("0"&MID(MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99),MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)&"0123456789")),ROW($1:$10000))))

I will see if I can simplify it a bit

Upvote 0
Lightly tested with 1, 2, or 3 digits after the dash...

Use the array formula
Code:
=MID(W4,FIND("-",W4)+1,MAX(IFERROR(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},W4),0))-FIND("-",W4))

To enter an array formula complete data entry with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just the ENTER or TAB key. If done correctly, *Excel* will show the formula in curly brackets { and }

What formula can I use to extract just the numbers (in this case,"12") from the right of the dash?

I am using =REPLACE(W4,1,FIND("-",W4),"") to show me everything after the dash but I can't find how to go from there.

Upvote 0

One example is usually not enough to tell us what your data really looks like. My questions are...

1) Is that dash always located in the 8th character position?

2) Is the dash always followed by exactly 2 digits?

3) Is the text after that number always exactly one character long?

Depending on your answer to those 3 questions, there might be a much simpler and more efficient formula available.

Upvote 0
One example is usually not enough to tell us what your data really looks like. My questions are...

1) Is that dash always located in the 8th character position?

2) Is the dash always followed by exactly 2 digits?

3) Is the text after that number always exactly one character long?

Depending on your answer to those 3 questions, there might be a much simpler and more efficient formula available.

I realized that I should have given more details after I posted it... sorry about that. To answer your questions:

1) No, the dash in not always in the 8th position.

2) No, it ranges from 1-4digits.

3) The text is always one character long HOWEVER there isn't always text after the dash - often it is just 1-3 numbers.

Examples of other model numbers:
SLC38-12
EGHB218-24
HB1410-20T

Upvote 0
2) No, it ranges from 1-4digits.

3) The text is always one character long HOWEVER there isn't always text after the dash - often it is just 1-3 numbers.
Based on your answer to #3, I assume you meant 1-4 characters in #2, not 1-4 digits. Given that, this formula should work...

=LOOKUP(9999,--LEFT(MID(W4,FIND("-",W4)+1,4),{1,2,3,4}))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back