Extracting specific data from webpage URL's listed in an excel sheet

Cutters

Hi all

Firstly, thanks for this forum, have found so many useful tips over the years on the website & forum for Excel things - this place is a godsend!

Had a (possibly) complex question regarding a project I am doing.

I am working on building a database of all players for a football game that I play (Pro Evolution Soccer)

Screenshot - http://i.imgur.com/3w1IDHm.png

I have all the data extracted from the database of players that I have, and have put a URL for every player to their profile page on a football database website called Transfermarkt.

What I needed to do is for a script to be put together to automatically go to the URL in column B, and extract the teamname the player is currently at, and for that data to be pasted in to Column D (2014 Team). Otherwise, I am going to have to click on all 10,000+ links individually and copy & paste the team name manually.

Is there a way I can do this automatically? would save me a LOT of time to do it.

So for example:-

in row 631, there is the player Giannis Zaradoukas.

His player profile page on Transfermarkt is:-

if I go to that URL it shows that his team is now Platanias Chania for 2014, whereas he was at Aris Thessaloniki in 2013. I just need to get the latest data for the team extracted for every player.

I am using Excel 2010, and I have to be honest, I only know basic Excel stuff with small amount of formula knowledge.

Would be great if someone could assist with how to go about doing this procedure automatically via VBA, it would save me 50+ hours of work (at an estimate)

If you require a copy of the excel file in order to do it for me rather than pasting the code in the thread please just ask and I'll upload the sheet.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
for some reason the edit button disappeared, but I looked at the source of the page and got some information:-

the table is class="tabelle_spieler"
and the data I need to fetch is title="Unemployed" for example.

Hope this is of use.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back