Extracting specific words surrounded by data from a range of cells

analyst0503

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I've been trying to find a method that would work for this type of extraction but just haven't come across it.

Please find the explanation below:

I have set values (in a table) in text form that I have to look for within a range of cells. I've used IFSUM formulas to tell me whether one of the words from the table is present within the cells but haven't found a way for the formulas to return the keywords when they find them. It should also be said that sometimes, the values will have the same first word but a different second - e.g. John Smith and John Jones will both be present in the table and I only want John Smith to be matched to John Smith.
Here is an example - on the right is what I want my search to return, I have a table with all the names that I'm trying to look for in the range of cells. I want Excel to tell me when there is that specific word combination and return that same combination into the desired cell.

1649167342912.png

I would prefer to be able to use a formula/function but can also give Macros a go if that's the only option (would be grateful for a detailed explanation in that case).

Many thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Not clear if you want to look for C1 in A1, C2 in A2, C3 in A3 etc. or look for C1 in A1:A10, C2 in A1:A10, C3 in A1:A10...
I think it is the latter, though.
Formulas are not my thing but probably could create some code. We can wait to see if you get a formula solution but I think some clarification will help either way.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Formula, based on your description.

Please consider posting samples with XL2BB, or at least in Table format, so helpers don't Have to type up data manually.

Book3.xlsx
ABCDE
1StringMatch from TableName Table
2abc def John Smith dskl oerha;John SmithBumble Bee
3ksoery Bumble Bee oejrpa skseoBumble BeeJack Ryan
4skoej kseo asleo John Doe John Smith
Sheet1079
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B4B2=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(E$2:E$4,A2),E$2:E$4),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you both for your response, the formula seems to work but only on a smaller selection of data, I have about 1mil rows of names that I need to match and it crashes my Excel. If I were to use a Macro, would this make it more efficient?

Unfortunately I'm unable to download the application that would make the sharing more straight forward.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
The fact that your key words (strings like John Smith) are all over the place would make for more intensive processing. Would be much faster if they were in the same table field/column. So with 1M rows and who knows how many characters in each string it will likely take a fair amount of time, assuming it doesn't crash. Seeing as how you have something that works, try restricting the range used in the formula and doing it over batches of say, 5 or 10 thousand rows at a time. If it's fast, double the rows until it slows down but doesn't crash. Save the file after each run.

Upvote 0
Thank you Micron! We'll try using that method. Thanks to both of you for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back