Extracting the number of seconds from a variable text string

JohnR99

I have a column of cells, each with a with text string that has three possible formats where I want to extract the total number of seconds.

The three formats are:

nnn hrs nn min nn sec (example: 1 hrs 42 min 58 sec)
or
nn min nn sec (example: 55 min 1 sec)
or
nn sec (example: 10 sec)

The result I want is a numeric value of the total number of seconds in the text string.

For example a text string of: 1 hrs 42 min 58 sec

Should give the result: (1 x 3600) + (42 x 60) + 58 = 6,178

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Unfortunately this approach will not work. The text string is in the format as shown in the original post (eg: 1 hrs 30 min 20 sec) and has three possible formats depending on the length of the time. The string is not in a format that can be multiplied. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Howdy John

Following seems to work - someone may be a long with a smarter (and shorter) solution though:

<b>Excel 2010</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: #FFFFFF;border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><colgroup><col style="background-color: #DAE7F5" /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;text-align: center;color: #161120"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td width="25px" style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1</td><td width="63px" style=";">1 hrs 42 min 58 sec</td><td width="63px" style="text-align: right;;">6178</td></tr><tr ><td width="25px" style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">2</td><td width="63px" style=";"> 55 min 1 sec</td><td width="63px" style="text-align: right;;">3301</td></tr><tr ><td width="25px" style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">3</td><td width="63px" style=";"> 10 sec</td><td width="63px" style="text-align: right;;">10</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:3.6em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid #BBB;border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">Sheet1</p><br /><br /><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: #FFFFFF" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Worksheet Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">B1</th><td style="text-align:left">=LOOKUP(<font color="Blue">9.9E+307,86400*RIGHT(<font color="Red">"00:00:"&SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Green">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Purple">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="Teal">SUBSTITUTE(<font color="#FF00FF">A1," ",""</font>),"hrs",":"</font>),"min",":"</font>),"sec",""</font>),ROW(<font color="Green">INDIRECT(<font color="Purple">"1:"&LEN(<font color="Teal">A1</font>)</font>)</font>)</font>)</font>)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></table><br />

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have created for you a "monster" formula that will work for all 3 cases, I assumed input data is in the cell C18 (you need to adapt it to your needs):

Code:
=IF(C18="","No input data !",IF(LEN(C18)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C18," ",""))=0,"Incorrect input data !",IF(LEN(C18)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C18," ",""))=5,3600*LEFT(C18,FIND(" ",C18)-1)+60*MID(SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",2),FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",2))+1,FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","#",3))-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",2))-1)+1*MID(SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",4),FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",4))+1,FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","#",5))-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",4))-1),IF(LEN(C18)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C18," ",""))=3,60*LEFT(C18,FIND(" ",C18)-1)+1*MID(SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",2),FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",2))+1,FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","#",3))-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(C18," ","@",2))-1),1*LEFT(C18,FIND(" ",C18)-1)))))

Formula is quite sensitive to input data format, if the input cells do not follow the patterns defined by you, then formula may generate #VALUE! error, or other error.

I hope these help.

Please confirm the formula resolves your problem, as expected.

Upvote 0
Hi Richard

That works perfectly. Wow! Now all I have to do is study what you have done so I full understand it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
John

Upvote 0
Try this:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1," hrs ",":")," min ",":")," sec","")*86400

Upvote 0
Hi Villy

Thanks for your solution. However, it does not give the right results.

Thanks
John

Upvote 0
To JohnR99:

If your example "55min 1 sec" is possible - instead of "55 min 01 sec".
(Last solution doesn't work in this case).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back