Fantasy Sports Lineup Generator

aubieboy

I am trying to make a spreadsheet that generates all possible player combinations that meet the requirements. The criteria are a 6 player lineup, each player has it's own individual salary, and a $50,000 lineup salary cap. I narrowed down the player pool to 20 players and each lineup must contain 6 players. Any guidance on how this can be done on excel?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
n!/(r!(n−r)!)

That's the formula you need for combinations. Where n is the total number of players to choose from (20) and r is the amount of players on a team (6). The total number is

If you were to put every possible team in individual rows, you'd have 1,938 rows for every team that starts with player 1 . Then 612 rows for every second player, 170 person third player, etc etc. You could map it all out and use a VLOOKUP to find the total team cost and display it next to the team. Then filter out the ones over the limit

Upvote 0
n!/(r!(n−r)!)

That's the formula you need for combinations. Where n is the total number of players to choose from (20) and r is the amount of players on a team (6). The total number is

If you were to put every possible team in individual rows, you'd have 1,938 rows for every team that starts with player 1 . Then 612 rows for every second player, 170 person third player, etc etc. You could map it all out and use a VLOOKUP to find the total team cost and display it next to the team. Then filter out the ones over the limit

Thanks! I'm pretty unfamiliar with Excel so a lot of terminology is new to me but attempting to figure it out. I was wondering is that math excluding repeating
sequence combinations? For example if players "a" "b" "c" "d" "e" "f" were a lineup, then "fedcba" would be discarded as it contains the same string of players

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back