Faster macro for copy to workbooks

ste33uka

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi would anyone have a faster macro than the following ,to copy data to sheet in current workbook and data to other workbook.
Current macro screen flickers alot when its ran.
Thanks
VBA Code:
Sub copy_to_workbooks()
   Dim i As Long
   For i = 1 To 81
      With Sheets(CStr(i))
         If LCase(.Range("vZ2").Value) = "yes" Then
         .Range("vW86:xa106").Copy
            Sheets("COPY").Range("e" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlFormats
            Sheets("COPY").Range("e" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
            Workbooks("book2").Sheets("data").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlFormats
            Workbooks("book2").Sheets("data").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
           .Range("A1:BM76").Copy
           Workbooks("book2").Sheets("collect").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
         End If
      End With
   Next i
End Sub

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Copying formats is always going to be slow, So I have a few questions :
1:Why are you looping this code 81 times you don't use the index variable i at all. so you are copying the same thing 81 times.
2: you are copying the same format 162 times , what sort of formating is it? is it the same across all columns or all rows. if it is is is much quicker to apply the format to the entire finished range
What is quite common is to have some columns which are dates or number or currency, if is it the whole column, it is best to use vba to do the formatting rather than copying it.
Accessing the worksheet for anything in a loop is always going to be slow. the way I would do this is copy the VW86:XA106 to a variant array. copy it multiple times to another much larger variant array and then write the large array back to the worksheet. That does the values, then I would format the worksheet as required using VBA

Upvote 0
Copying formats is always going to be slow, So I have a few questions :
1:Why are you looping this code 81 times you don't use the index variable i at all. so you are copying the same thing 81 times.
2: you are copying the same format 162 times , what sort of formating is it? is it the same across all columns or all rows. if it is is is much quicker to apply the format to the entire finished range
What is quite common is to have some columns which are dates or number or currency, if is it the whole column, it is best to use vba to do the formatting rather than copying it.
Accessing the worksheet for anything in a loop is always going to be slow. the way I would do this is copy the VW86:XA106 to a variant array. copy it multiple times to another much larger variant array and then write the large array back to the worksheet. That does the values, then I would format the worksheet as required using VBA
There is 81 sheets on the workbook, each sheet has different data,
the formatting i am copying is borders and conditional formatting
Would prefer to copy the format at same time rather than after.
Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
I hadn't spotted that, so my comments are wrong. To stop the screen flickering you can turn offf screen updating, it is also probably worth trying turning off the auto recalculation while your doing the copying and only do a recalculation at the end, this might speed it up a bit; so put this at the top:
VBA Code:
Application.screenupdating=false
Application.Calculation = xlCalculateManual
then at the end of the sub turn them back on again with:

VBA Code:
Application.screenupdating=True
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

Upvote 0
Solution
Like this ?
VBA Code:
 Sub copy_to_workbooks()
Application.screenupdating=false
Application.Calculation = xlCalculateManual

Dim i As Long
For i = 1 To 81
With Sheets(CStr(i))
If LCase(.Range("vZ2").Value) = "yes" Then
.Range("vW86:xa106").Copy
Sheets("COPY").Range("e" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlFormats
Sheets("COPY").Range("e" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
Workbooks("book2").Sheets("data").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlFormats
Workbooks("book2").Sheets("data").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
.Range("A1:BM76").Copy
Workbooks("book2").Sheets("collect").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End If
End With
Next i
Application.screenupdating=True
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

End Sub

Upvote 0
Yes that should stop the the screen flickering and might speed it up very slightly. The only other way I can think of speeding it up, is to copy the ranges VW86:XA106 and A1:BM76 to variant arrays in a loop and build up 2 large variant arrays, and then write these two variant arrays back to data and collect sheet in one action at the end of the loop, this should save 3 worksheet accesses per loop. This would require keeping track of what rows be needed to formatted separately because the data wouldn't be there initially. so a bit complicated.

Upvote 0
Yes that should stop the the screen flickering and might speed it up very slightly. The only other way I can think of speeding it up, is to copy the ranges VW86:XA106 and A1:BM76 to variant arrays in a loop and build up 2 large variant arrays, and then write these two variant arrays back to data and collect sheet in one action at the end of the loop, this should save 3 worksheet accesses per loop. This would require keeping track of what rows be needed to formatted separately because the data wouldn't be there initially. so a bit complicated.
Thanks alot for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back