Fastest way to redefine named range boundaries

Pundit

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a very large workbook with 11 sheets. Five of them have over 200,000 rows of data. Part of the workflow, when data is imported as a CSV, is to copy various columns from the imported CSV to a blank sheet. When I do that, I have VBA code which redefines the existing named range to expand it from 1 row to however many rows were copied over -- in this example, 200,000 rows. My problem is that the VBA code to redefine that existing named range is taking 15 seconds. And, since I use a lot of named ranges in formulas embedded on other sheets, this process can take up to 3-4 minutes just to redefine those named range boundaries.

What is the fastest way to redefine the boundaries for a named range?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I hope that you have at least 1 column without empty cells, then you choose that column as primary named range. The others are that named range with an offset
suppose column A starts in the 3rd row is in the worst case is 10K rows long, then you can use this formula for that column. Its a good practise to exagerate a little, so you may also use 20K
Rich (BB code):
=OFFSET(Blad1!$A$3;;;COUNTA(Blad1!$A$3:$A$10002);)
the other columns are on offset, so the whole range, 14 columns width is
Rich (BB code):
=OFFSET(MyColumnA;;;;14)
i made an example in another post today, see Cars

(Sorry, the translator did it wrong, the semicolons had to be commas, but otherwise look in the link)

Upvote 0
Thanks, but that's not a VBA solution. There are two methods I have tried. Each one (below) redefines an existing named range (called "Named_Range") from being assigned to Cell $A$2 to Cells $A$2:$A$200001 (i.e., 200,000 cells).

Method 1:
With ActiveWorkbook.Names("Named_Range")
.Name = "Named_Range"
.RefersToR1C1 = "=Sheet1!R2C1:R200001C1"
End With

Method2:
With Worksheets("Sheet1")
.Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(200001, 1)).Name = "Named_Range"
End With

Both of these methods take about 15 seconds to accomplish. Given that I have about 10 named ranges which need to be redefined, my code is taking almost 3 minutes to execute. I NEED something faster!

Upvote 0
i suppose you 'd better set the calculation to manual, adjust your 10 named range and set the calculation again to automatic.
VBA Code:
Sub Resize_Ranges()
     t = Timer                                                  'start chrono
     Application.Calculation = xlManual                         'manual calculation

With Worksheets("Sheet1")
          .Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(200001, 1)).Name = "Named_Range1"     'resize name 1
          .Range(.Cells(2, 5), .Cells(200001, 5)).Name = "Named_Range5"
     '....

End With

Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic                      'automatic again

MsgBox Timer - t
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've already done that. Those timings are with Calculation set to "manual".

Upvote 0
no, the msgbox gives the time of execution, so in your previous situation that was almost 3 minutes.
What do you have now as answer in that msgbox ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back