Fetch CSV that is downloaded via an url

tetsii

Hey all,

How do I get the underlying downloadable file downloaded, instead of the response html, when using winhttpreq?

I have a URL (seen in the code below) that I can download a CSV file from. However, the url itself returns html when opened in code. When simply opening the link manually, I get a normal "Save" popup from IE. I have tried some really sketchy solutions with using an IE object and then adding lines to press save etc, but it does not seem even remotely close to a proper solution. Currently I would use the code below:
Code:
Sub TestDL()
Dim myURL As String
Dim oStream As Variant
myURL = "[URL]https://transparency.entsoe.eu/generation/r2/actualGenerationPerGenerationUnit/export?type=CSV&dataItems%5BACTUAL_GENERATION_OUTPUT_PER_UNIT%5D=38W-MT--BEJG10-5&intervalStart=2015-11-30T00%3A00%3A00.000%2B01%3A00&intervalEnd=2015-12-10T00%3A00%3A00.000%2B01%3A00&timeZoneId=CET&areaType=unknown[/URL]"
Dim WinHttpReq As Object
Set WinHttpReq = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
WinHttpReq.Open "GET", myURL, False
WinHttpReq.sEnd
myURL = WinHttpReq.responseBody
If WinHttpReq.Status = 200 Then
    Set oStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    oStream.Open
    oStream.Type = 1
    oStream.Write WinHttpReq.responseBody
    oStream.SaveToFile "C:\temp\file.csv", 2 ' 1 = no overwrite, 2 = overwrite
    oStream.Close
End If
End Sub

However, as mentioned, the saved file.csv is just filled with html instead of the file that is requested. If someone is willing to help, creating an account to the site is free and very quick.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Tetsii

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hey all,

How do I get the underlying downloadable file downloaded, instead of the response html, when using winhttpreq?

I have a URL (seen in the code below) that I can download a CSV file from. However, the url itself returns html when opened in code. When simply opening the link manually, I get a normal "Save" popup from IE. I have tried some really sketchy solutions with using an IE object and then adding lines to press save etc, but it does not seem even remotely close to a proper solution. Currently I would use the code below:
Code:
Sub TestDL()
Dim myURL As String
Dim oStream As Variant
myURL = "[URL]https://transparency.entsoe.eu/generation/r2/actualGenerationPerGenerationUnit/export?type=CSV&dataItems%5BACTUAL_GENERATION_OUTPUT_PER_UNIT%5D=38W-MT--BEJG10-5&intervalStart=2015-11-30T00%3A00%3A00.000%2B01%3A00&intervalEnd=2015-12-10T00%3A00%3A00.000%2B01%3A00&timeZoneId=CET&areaType=unknown[/URL]"
Dim WinHttpReq As Object
WinHttpReq.sEnd
myURL = WinHttpReq.responseBody
    oStream.Open
    oStream.Type = 1
    oStream.Write WinHttpReq.responseBody
    oStream.SaveToFile "C:\temp\file.csv", 2 ' 1 = no overwrite, 2 = overwrite
    oStream.Close
End If
End Sub

However, as mentioned, the saved file.csv is just filled with html instead of the file that is requested. If someone is willing to help, creating an account to the site is free and very quick.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Tetsii
Hi Tetsii,

I used to use a very similar macro to download a CSV file from the internet and when I dug it out and compared it to yours there really wasn't much different (apart from a check I carry out at the start that the save location exists otherwise it is created).

i have tweaked my code to reflect the details from your code, (file name, save location etc). Try this out and see it it works any better:

Rich (BB code):
Sub Download_CSV()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim fsoFSO
    Set fsoFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If fsoFSO.FolderExists("C:\Temp") Then
    Else
        fsoFSO.CreateFolder ("C:\Temp")
    End If
    Dim myURL As String
    myURL = "https://transparency.entsoe.eu/gene...:00.000+01:00&timeZoneId=CET&areaType=unknown"

Dim WinHttpReq As Object
    WinHttpReq.Send

myURL = WinHttpReq.ResponseBody
        oStream.Open
        oStream.Type = 1
        oStream.Write WinHttpReq.ResponseBody
        oStream.SaveToFile ("C:\Temp\File.csv"), 2
        oStream.Close
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
the saved file.csv is just filled with html instead of the file that is requested
You probably need to emulate the site's log in process in a similar way using GET/POST requests to establish a connection session for the file download request.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back